GPA and B+, B, B-....etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools take into account + and - when they calculate your gpa? Also, does anybody know if the texas schools use the +,- system or if they just use the straight letter grade?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about Texas, but...

A = 4
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3
etc

Members don't see this ad :)
yes and no, texas doesn't.

BrettBatchelor said:
AMCAS uses + and - if your school does.

No they don't :-(. AMCAS turned my A+s into plain As.

Originally posted by desiredusername
no, texas doesn't.

Great, so if your school is on the +,_ system that means that texas will see your gpa being lower than what your school says... :mad:

NCF145 said:
Great, so if your school is on the +,_ system that means that texas will see your gpa being lower than what your school says... :mad:
This only happens for your pluses. If you have some minuses your GPA goes up, up, up!
And I don't care what Risa says, AMCAS kept my A-'s and B+'s where they belong.

desiredusername said:
This only happens for your pluses. If you have some minuses your GPA goes up, up, up!
And I don't care what Risa says, AMCAS kept my A-'s and B+'s where they belong.

I'm only talking about A+'s -- my A-'s and B+'s stayed where they belong too. It's sad about the A+'s though, since their purpose was to cancel out A-'s (average 3.66 and 4.33 to equal 4.00; since AMCAS converted the A+'s to regular A's, they now average out lower.) Oh well though, my slightly lower AMCAS gpa doesn't seem to have hurt me in the app process!

I got screwed on the A+ thing, too, for my graduate school GPA. Of the three undergraduate schools I've attended, only one has pluses and minuses, but the highest grade awarded is an A, not an A+, so I wasn't screwed with the ugpa. I doubt it really matters, though, but it dropped my graduate gpa from a 3.6 to a 3.5.

For some reason my school doesn't do -'s they only do +'s, so that means my score can only go down, down, down. Oh well, ill just have to make 4.0s until I graduate.

NCF145 said:
Texas cutts the -, + system, a B+, B- or B will count as a B as 3.0.....and A-or A or A+ will count as A and 4.0.....so basically I think usually peoples GPA tends to increase for TMDSAS.

NCF145 said:
For some reason my school doesn't do -'s they only do +'s, so that means my score can only go down, down, down. Oh well, ill just have to make 4.0s until I graduate.
That system is the best. I wish I had those. A-'s terrify me.