1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

GPA and retaking classes vs taking advanced classses?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by jkj, Aug 8, 2006.

1. jkj

jkj New Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I had a 3.1 Cumulative GPA and a 4.0 in my last year and half. This means some of my first couple were not good. I had several C's scattered in there. Including Organic and general chem. Am I better off to retake these now or take advanced classes? I spoke with a rep at UGA and got the impression I would be better to retake the C's. Just wanted to get some input. If this is the case, I can live with my parents for a year and goto the Jr College here and save on rent. Any opinions would be great.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ethyl

ethyl Go suck on a Zoloft.
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Definitely retake the C's... They'll stand out much more than advanced courses. Did you take them at the community college?

4. jkj

jkj New Member

I orignally took some at comm college and some at university. Does that change anything?

5. SpenceRx

SpenceRx Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Question about “retaking” … If you got a C in say CHEM 101 can you retake CHEM 101 to improve your grade? My advisor told me I can only take upper level courses to improve my grades – no retakes as long as you pass.

Do some schools allow retakes?

-Spencer

6. jkj

jkj New Member

Umm that I know of all schools will allow retakes.

7. ADN1226

ADN1226 Class of 2012!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

You can retake the classes but it wont count towards your cum. gpa or major gpa i believe. BUT some pharm schools average out the two or some take the higher of the two so it pays off in the end to retake the classes. Also some schools only look at pre-pharm gpas so taking advanced classes wont be helpful for those schools.

8. jkj

jkj New Member

Yeah that only looking at prepharm seems to be the case with most schools I look at...