GPA calcs and Community College Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Absentminded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two problems here, 1, I have a B.S in Business Management and a Master of Accountancy from two different schools. For the MAcc degree I had to take a couple of undergrad tax classes as pre-reqs that would NOT be on my Master's transcript. Since they weren't going to be visible, I just got C's in them and moved on. So my GPA for undergrad is 3.78 and grad is 3.8. I'm pretty consistent. Will I have to include those C courses and tank my undergrad GPA with them when applying for med school? I have not included them for anything else because they are on a separate transcript.

Problem 2, I searched around and it looks like many schools frown on community college credits for the hard sciences. I am lacking 2 years of physics and an organic chem class to met pre-reqs for med school. I really do not want to pay 1,500-2,000 per class for a name brand school on those. The local community college system is pretty good and I could get those for 60 bucks a credit. I will also backtrack and audit micro again or something to get the biology wheels spinning since I got my B.S. almost 10 years ago. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Two problems here,
1, I have a B.S in Business Management and a Master of Accountancy from two different schools. For the MAcc degree I had to take a couple of undergrad tax classes as pre-reqs that would NOT be on my Master's transcript. Since they weren't going to be visible, I just got C's in them and moved on. So my GPA for undergrad is 3.78 and grad is 3.8. I'm pretty consistent. Will I have to include those C courses and tank my undergrad GPA with them when applying for med school? I have not included them for anything else because they are on a separate transcript.

Problem 2, I searched around and it looks like many schools frown on community college credits for the hard sciences. I am lacking 2 years of physics and an organic chem class to met pre-reqs for med school. I really do not want to pay 1,500-2,000 per class for a name brand school on those. The local community college system is pretty good and I could get those for 60 bucks a credit. I will also backtrack and audit micro again or something to get the biology wheels spinning since I got my B.S. almost 10 years ago. :eek:
1) All med school application services oblige you to submit a transcript from every college attended, from which they will calculate an application GPA by their own rules.

2) There are other med schools that are less picky about CC coursework, including most DO med schools. The concern is that the classes might not have sufficient rigor to prepare you well to take the MCAT. If you take the CC classes and score high on the MCAT, you can bury that concern at most schools. You might call the schools you most wish to target and ask their policy.

Rather than micro, consider Physiology, Genetics, and Cell Bio, if not additional upper level Bio, as well as Biochem. Many med schools recommend or require some of these.

As Catlystik said, a good score on the MCAT will assuage many of the concerns about taking classes at a CC. Also, that bias against them is not held as strongly against people who are doing post-bacc work. Adcoms are realistic enough to understand that not everyone knew medicine was their ultimate goal when they were in college and they also understand that not everyone has the money or schedule flexibility to return to a four year school to polish off a few pre-reqs after they already have their degree. But you really need to be getting As and do well on the MCAT to remove any serious doubt (granted, that should be every pre-med's goal, anyway).

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll take some of the "dumb" classes at the CC and then take some more rigorous courses through the UC system's open campus program. Not because I want to look good, but because I actually want a challenge or two before digging in to the point of no return. Maybe I'll meet some people who can help me get in while I am at it.