GPA Calculation for a transfer student question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldentist22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short I was originally at a University for almost 4 years where I had a lot of mental health issues and I did terrible (2.0 GPA), but I transferred to a different school about a year and a half ago and now my GPA at this school is a 3.5 and I'm hoping it will increase after this semester and my summer semester. When I was doing the GPA calculation it was pretty low after I factored in my grades from my original institution, even though I did have a major improvement. I'm also planning to really take my time with the DAT and give it my all because I really want to get a killer score to compensate for my lower GPA. I will be including in my personal statement how I overcame my challenges and turned my life around, but just wondering does schools take a massive improvement of GPA into factor?

Members don't see this ad.

I think schools definitely view upward trends favorably, but depending on just how low it is, you may be auto-rejected/automatically screened out by schools (usually if it's below 3.0). So to help your application, I'd maybe recommend an SMP to show schools you have completely turned things around and that you can handle a rigorous science curriculum. Some master's programs even have a linkage into their dental school, so I'd search around on here/Google around for more info.