gpa calculation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliChica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering how the gpa is calculated exactly when you have retaken classes. Do you double count the class or do you average the two grades and only count the units once?

Members don't see this ad.

CaliChica said:
Hi, I was wondering how the gpa is calculated exactly when you have retaken classes. Do you double count the class or do you average the two grades and only count the units once?

As far as your GPA at your university it will depend on several things. Do they have some type of forgiveness policy, do both of the hours count etc.

However, I would say if you take a 3 hour class and you retake said 3 hour class you will have 6 total hours of credits. Although only 3 hours should count towards anything. For example, if you took anatomy twice it wont count at 6 hours towards you biology degree, but it should count as 6 hours as far as determining if you are a junior or senior.

Also as far as how the GPA is actually calculated, it should count like this. The first time you take it you made a B (3.0) and the second time you make an A (4.0) your GPA should be a 3.5 . I would think even if your university has a forgiveness policy when you actually apply to med school or most grad schools they will calculate your GPA in the way I have described and not the way your university does. Hopefully that helps.

CaliChica said:

If you are talking about how AMCAS treats repeated classes -- it is a double weighted average -- i.e. you list both classes and grades. Thus you effectively end up with the average of the two grades (but with twice the weight of a normal class as you have taken twice as many credits). I've heard that the DO application only takes the latter grade but I am not sure.