JYthoracsurg

undergrad, Appalachian St
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
Status
I've heard rumors that if you re-take a class to fix your GPA, Medical School Admission Boards will average your first grade with your second and use that as your final grade in that particular class. Do any of you know if this is true or not?

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2000
Virginia
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Someone, correct me if I am wrong but I think AMCAS does that. It will have both of your grades listed but they will both be put into your gpa, I think.

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2002
MN
Status
Attending Physician
Yes it is true to find out more about this go to aamc.org and look under amcas...

About the Ads

Bintu

15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
Visit site
Status
JYthoracsurg said:
I've heard rumors that if you re-take a class to fix your GPA, Medical School Admission Boards will average your first grade with your second and use that as your final grade in that particular class. Do any of you know if this is true or not?

But if you retake the class you had better have good reasons. I retook 4 classes and in my interviews I was grilled on that and told that I probably wouldn't get accepted for one retake let alone 4. I was accepted by more than two schools though and no I don't think it has anything to do with the color of my skin.

oudoc08

Please pass the gas...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AMCAS does, AACOMAS (DO schools) uses your best grade.

lizzylu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
SF
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, when you enter everything into AMCAS you must put each class you took, even if you failed and and re-took the class.

So in actuality, retaking a class helps w/ your college GPA (i.e. for LOR writers to be more impressed, etc). And it allows you to say in your interviews, look I failed and retook it to get an A-,A,B+. But it still stings on the AMCAS calculated GPA.

yes, it hurt me too :(

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Bintu said:
But if you retake the class you had better have good reasons. I retook 4 classes and in my interviews I was grilled on that and told that I probably wouldn't get accepted for one retake let alone 4. I was accepted by more than two schools though and no I don't think it has anything to do with the color of my skin.
Interesting. I had about 7 retakes, and noone asked about them directly, and it didnt seem to affect me post-interview. Whats skin, got to do, got to do wit it.

About the Ads