GPA crisis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camela

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i guess i am in the same situation as a lot of pre-dentals out there; had heart for med school but have my dreams crashed by evil GPA.... i am just wondering what's the average GPA for the top 5 dental schools? i don't understand why while there is so much information out there about each med schools, there is so little you can know about each dental schools. no ranking, no average GPA, no average DATs.... someone should do something about it.....

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion to you is that don't go into dentistry just because you weren't cut out for medical school. You shouldn't try to take away a spot from those who truly desire to be a dentist!

If you really want to enroll in medical school, there's always a way to get in somehow, even if it means extra time/work away from school or even if it means not having your choice of top schools to pick from.

Don't go to dental school, if you're not really interested in becoming a dentist. The premeds who didn't make it to med school and decide to go to dental school without giving it much thought are the ones who end up dropping out from dental school or not enjoying their job. You'll most likely just regret it. You should go to the med board and ask people whether they think it's possible for you to get into med school or not.

There's no current ranking of dental schools, but I can give you the 5 dental schools with the highest average GPA (overall/science) for the entering class of 1999-2000 - so this info is a little outdated.
1. Harvard 3.64/3.60
2. Nebraska 3.59/3.47
3. Washington 3.58/3.52
4. USC 3.55/3.52
5. Florida 3.55/3.49

If you have your heart set on medical school the advice not to go to dental school is good advice.
HOWEVER, you are not certainly doomed forever because of your grades. The repair process will take longer than you will like, but the damage can be repaired. If you are willing to defer gratification, I will tell you how to go about it. Nothing illegal or underhanded, just more blood, sweat and tears.
In my experience, bad grades are never a function of inadequate intelligence but of a host of circumstances. Which might apply to you, I don't know, and it is often complex to analyse.
This is best discussed by email. You should always be cautious about giving your email address to strangers. If you don't want to, I will not be offended. No charge, no personal contact. [email protected]