GPA, DAT, what does that say about you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student253

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious to what you guys think. I would argue that both GPA and DAT communicate different aspects of your performance.

Both: intelligence
GPA: consistency/work ethic, indicator of how you'll do in dental school (historic record), ability to manage course loads
DAT: standardized=way to judge people on a single plane, test taking abilities, ability to handle pressure to certain degree (lengthy test that is scored once, as oppose to school:homework, midterm, finals, papers, etc. over a semester/quarter)

Please comment and add to the list.

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

The Dat is similar to the boards, it show the information retained and recalled, and it is a ton of information, about 130 credits worth in 2 years.

I think that from an admissions comittee perspective the DAT shows ability - science talent that you know and can study for when you put your mind to it. GPA shows work ethic and consistency. If you have a lower than average GPA but a high DAT, it might seem like you have plenty of potential, you just didn't apply it - maybe you didn't like your undergraduate courses... and you should state that as a reason in your Personal statement

Members don't see this ad :)
With respect, the dat is load of crap... it is a hoop that you have to jump through. Thank goodness I never have to do that again. At least the boards are something that are applicable to your profession. You GPA though, is something that proves that you will work hard. Don't forget the extras such as work or volunteering that make the difference. Anyone can get a 4.0 if all they do is study. When you get in to Dschool (if you do) watch out! It is enough work to make your head spin! doable but you will choke on the amount of info they give you.

The Dat is similar to the boards, it show the information retained and recalled, and it is a ton of information, about 130 credits worth in 2 years.

With respect, the dat is load of crap... it is a hoop that you have to jump through. Thank goodness I never have to do that again. At least the boards are something that are applicable to your profession. You GPA though, is something that proves that you will work hard. Don't forget the extras such as work or volunteering that make the difference. Anyone can get a 4.0 if all they do is study. When you get in to Dschool (if you do) watch out! It is enough work to make your head spin! doable but you will choke on the amount of info they give you.

A bit of a pessimist attitude huh "get into dental (if you do)". From your stance, the DAT was a large hurdle for you. It was a load to study for, but not something that was unmanageable.

My concern was strictly about GPA vs DAT. I understand there are other factors involved when determining acceptances.

I was given this in another post.

Attachments

• 478.pdf
    67.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 258.pdf
    60.2 KB · Views: 105
article 478 said:
The results indicate that DAT reading comprehension was a statistically significant predictor (p value less than or equal to 0.05) of all four subtests of Part I of the NBDE. The DAT biology and organic chemistry scores were statistically significant predictors of NBDE biochemistry-physiology, and the DAT quantitative analysis score was a statistically significant predictor of NBDE dental anatomy and occlusion. DAT perceptual ability and general chemistry were not significant predictors.

article 258 said:
Performance on the DAT reading comprehension subtest was the most reliable predictor of performance on the NBDE Part I.
It is nice to see quantitative results comparing DAT and NDBE scores. It shows that RC IS an important predictor of future performance, regardless of what a lot of SDN naysayers would have you believe. However, it also shows that the PAT is not a significant predictor of performance. I wonder, however, if the PAT may indicate the ease with which one can become a competent clinician?

It's true that DAT is a one sitting test where it might seem unfair but that's how boards are gonna work once you get into dental school, right?
For me I studied my butt off for the DAT for a month and half of my summer going to the library 6 days/week so I feel like DAT also shows a part of me that's diligent, consistent, hardworking, etc in addition to the GPA.. but I guess it's different for everybody..