GPA in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheeriocerio

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey, i know that a lot of people say that bad grades in dental school dont matter as long as you pass and get your degree (assuming you only want to practice as a GP). But then i heard some people telling me over the thanksgiving break that grades matter and that is how dentists choose between potential employees (assuming the student is searching for his first job right out of school). Because they compare the GPA and other items that will be on the students resume.

So how true is this? Do grades not matter at all while in dental school as long as you pass? Seems crucial for a first time employee right out of school as this is how potential employers compare between students?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, i know that a lot of people say that bad grades in dental school dont matter as long as you pass and get your degree (assuming you only want to practice as a GP). But then i heard some people telling me over the thanksgiving break that grades matter and that is how dentists choose between potential employees (assuming the student is searching for his first job right out of school). Because they compare the GPA and other items that will be on the students resume.

So how true is this? Do grades not matter at all while in dental school as long as you pass? Seems crucial for a first time employee right out of school as this is how potential employers compare between students?
Very few students go straight into employment. Employers won’t care much about your grades; they want experience.

Grades matter for residencies (including GPRs) - don’t shoot your foot thinking general dentists don’t need good grades. They may not need good grades for work, but you’ll want them for your #1 GPR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It matters for Residencies or specialization, but rarely do employers ask for your transcripts. Regardless, for your education, make sure to put your best foot forward. It will never hurt you to do so.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very few students go straight into employment. Employers won’t care much about your grades; they want experience.

Grades matter for residencies (including GPRS) - don’t shoot your foot thinking general dentists don’t need good grades. They may not need good grades for work, but you’ll want them for your #1 GPR.
Don't more students go straight into employment compared to residency? I read only about 35-40% go into residency. Only DE and NY require it at the moment.

Don't more students go straight into employment compared to residency? I read only about 35-40% go into residency. Only DE and NY require it at the moment.
Location dependent. We have about 10-20% that go straight to work from here.

Last edited:
Definitely location dependent. The percentage of students from my school going into some sort of residency (include GPR/AEGD) is indeed around this 35-40% range.

Definitely location specific. Out of 42 in my class, 3 did a GPR and and 3 specialized. Rest went into private practice or public health. As others have said, grades matter if you want to specialize or do a residency. I went straight to employment and was never asked about my grades

So the person ranked dead last in his class is going to have a difficult time to get into a residency and should go straight into employment it sounds like