GPA is way too low: c3.253 s2.75 Any chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guria

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.253 cumulative GPA at the University of Michigan and a 2.75 science GPA. I have not taken the MCAT yet and will be taking a year off between undergrad and med school. I am worried that my chances of getting into medical school won't be very high, considering the fact that my GPA is not very great. I got a C- in Orgo 2 and mostly Bs or B-s in my science classes. I took a diagnostic MCAT in my sophomore year of college (Im a senior now) and I got a 17. I'm graduating a semester early from college and will be using that time to study for the MCAT. I've been doing research since freshmen year. I know GPA is a big factor when it comes to applying for med school. Should I consider DO schools over MD when applying? Any thoughts would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.253 cumulative GPA at the University of Michigan and a 2.75 science GPA. I have not taken the MCAT yet and will be taking a year off between undergrad and med school. I am worried that my chances of getting into medical school won't be very high, considering the fact that my GPA is not very great. I got a C- in Orgo 2 and mostly Bs or B-s in my science classes. I took a diagnostic MCAT in my sophomore year of college (Im a senior now) and I got a 17. I'm graduating a semester early from college and will be using that time to study for the MCAT. I've been doing research since freshmen year. I know GPA is a big factor when it comes to applying for med school. Should I consider DO schools over MD when applying? Any thoughts would be helpful!
As you are right now, it's a stretch that MD or DO schools will consider you with such a low sGPA/BCPM GPA. Consider taking advantage of DO application service grade forgiveness by retaking classes where you got a low grade (for the same credits or greater). This essentially erases the first grade from inclusion in your calculated application GPAs. Don't be in a hurry to graduate when your GPA needs to improve further to gain you a reasonable amount of consideration.

You're NOT competetive at any MD program, and on life support for DO. Suggest re-taking the Orgo class and it will do wonders for the sGPA. If you can't get it >3.0, then reconsider your career options. Do NOT take MCAT until your practice scores are in the high 20s.

DO grade replacement until you are over 3.0......you need high 20's on your mcat.....MD just isn't happening without major miracles