Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

gpa/mcat/etc. disregarded at interview stage?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dpy, Jul 1, 2002.

  1. dpy

    dpy Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2002
    Messages:
    133
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey everyone,

    anyone know if once the applicants are asked for an interview, are they all on the same level? it seems like that in order to get to the interview stage, the applicant probably has high gpa/mcat/good ECs/etc., so when they decide on acceptance or not, are those still considered or is it based solely on the adcom's impression of you at the interview?

    dpy
     
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Street Philosopher

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2000
    Messages:
    6,276
    Likes Received:
    7
  4. gobruins

    gobruins Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2002
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    My experience has been that while sometimes the interview is stats-blind (interviewer only has your personal statement, nothing else), the final decision is always made with regard to your entire file.
     
  5. tatabox80

    tatabox80 Super-Duper Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2002
    Messages:
    394
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by dpy:
    <strong>Hey everyone,

    anyone know if once the applicants are asked for an interview, are they all on the same level? it seems like that in order to get to the interview stage, the applicant probably has high gpa/mcat/good ECs/etc., so when they decide on acceptance or not, are those still considered or is it based solely on the adcom's impression of you at the interview?

    dpy</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had recently met with the dean of admissions at an ohio school and he told me that prior to interview, your grades are 80-90% of you getting an interview. After interview however grades are only about 30% of their final decision, everything else is what comprises the other 70%. Every school is different though...
     
  6. Nuclearrabbit

    Nuclearrabbit Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2002
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    1
    There are alot of schools that participate in blind-file interviews. Many of my interview experiences involved multiple interviews, with one blind interview, one open file interview.
    Ultimately, everything is considered in your file in making a decision. And yes, the interview score IS important. But its not everything.
     
  7. The Mysterious Stranger

    The Mysterious Stranger Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2002
    Messages:
    125
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think this is a topic everyone probably disagrees on. I am inclined to believe that different parts of the application are important at different stages. Med schools are interested in creating intelligent and diverse classes. Intelligence is determined mainly through GPA and MCAT. This can easily be done by glancing at paperwork--transcripts (course rigor, GPA's) and MCAT scores. Diversity is not so easily determined because students tend to over exaggerate ECs and an interview can determine how engaging a students is, the extent of involvement and dedication in ECs, and any other personality attributes that are necessary for a physician. Your interview will enhance or diminish the significance your GPA/MCAT scores by the intelligence you exhibit. I doubt after an interview, your scores can be looked at as neutral. However, I agree there can be too much emphasis placed on the interview sometimes. Just a different perspective...
     
  8. Mystique

    Mystique The Procrastinator

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2001
    Messages:
    3,589
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Some people say you're on an even playing field w/ all the other interviewees. I disagree. Your numbers will be used throughout the entire application process. Different schools go about this in different ways. At some schools, your entire application (GPA, MCAT, ECs, recs) compromises about 70% of the overall "assessment." The remaining 30% will be determined by your interview. Even at the interview stage when the adcoms have two applicants that interviewed decently, they'll look into the numbers. There's no "right" answer to this question. Each school has its own method.
     
  9. Zoobaby

    Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2002
    Messages:
    959
    Likes Received:
    1
    tatabox - Which Ohio school?
     
  10. UCLA2000

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2001
    Messages:
    2,314
    Likes Received:
    3
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Unfortunately no. In some cases the interviewer knows your stats and will flat out tell you that no matter how well you interview, they cannot accept you with such low scores (that happened to a friend of mine at Harvard).

    In other cases you have a blind interview where the interviewer doesn't know your scores, but I believe that the interviewer still sees your scores after the interview.
     
  11. geneman

    geneman The Transgenic Hobo

    Joined:
    May 5, 2002
    Messages:
    227
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey tata,

    That makes a lot of sense. When you send in your secondary, you are competing against a lot more people, grades being the primary way to distinguish between them (hence 80-90% grade significance). Once you get to the interview stage, most of the people being interviewed already have the grade prerequisites (thus reducing the relative importance of grades to 30%).

    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by tatabox80:
    <strong>I had recently met with the dean of admissions at an ohio school and he told me that prior to interview, your grades are 80-90% of you getting an interview. After interview however grades are only about 30% of their final decision, everything else is what comprises the other 70%. Every school is different though...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
     
  12. lola

    lola Bovine Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2002
    Messages:
    3,848
    Likes Received:
    3
    it seems strange that a school would tell someone at an interview that their numbers were too low. why would they waste their time interviewing them?

    i have no idea what the answer to this question is, but it seems unlikely that people are all on the same level once granted an interview. other things will have to factor in at some point if they liked 400 applicants after the interview but can only accept 200. a great interview might help a person with mediocre test scores and grades, but only if there are not other people who have great interviews and good test scores and grades.
     
  13. The Mysterious Stranger

    The Mysterious Stranger Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2002
    Messages:
    125
    Likes Received:
    0
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lola:
    <strong>it seems strange that a school would tell someone at an interview that their numbers were too low. why would they waste their time interviewing them?

    i have no idea what the answer to this question is, but it seems unlikely that people are all on the same level once granted an interview. other things will have to factor in at some point if they liked 400 applicants after the interview but can only accept 200. a great interview might help a person with mediocre test scores and grades, but only if there are not other people who have great interviews and good test scores and grades.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I completely agree!
     

Share This Page