GPA of @.7-2.9 acceptance into pharmacy school??

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by firstgeneration, May 13, 2007.

1. firstgeneration

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was reading and some people said that they got into pharmacy school with 2.7-2.9 GPA along with other stuff and high PCAT, what school did you apply?? any suggestions or was I wrong about reading it somewhere in the postings???:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    It really all depends. I know someone that got into school X with GPA 2.8, and someone else that got rejected to that same school with a GPA of 3.4. That is the case for a lot of schools out there. A GPA of 2.8 of 100 credit hours is very different from the same GPA with grad courses of over 200, 300 credit hours. All I can tell you is to apply early to schools with rolling admissions and to a lot of private schools.

4. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    These 2.7-2.9 acceptances are rare cases. These students had awesome PCAT, experience or interview in most cases. Rolling admission is the way to get looked at with a low GPA. Many state schools require 3.0 GPA minimum for out of state applicants, so best bet is to research new schools and private institutions. If it is Cs in your prereq courses that is making your GPA that low you may want to retake courses before applying.

5. StringTheorist

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    My prepharm GPA was 2.99, and i got in to the University of Florida. I had a 92 PCAT and 2.5 years of experience.

6. eddie269

eddie269 Still in shock...
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I had a 2.91 cum. gpa at the time of my application and I got in this year. Just know this is my 3rd time applying. I also had great LOR's, applied very early to rolling admission schools, interviewed very well (so I was told), and had close to 1 yr of pharmacy clerk experience and a laundry list of e/c's. I also had working experience in another area (finance) for about a year. (blah blah blah)

Read my thread in my sig for tips. That should help.

And yes, rare is probably a good word these days since most avg gpa's are 3.4 range. But just know for every 4.0 student, there was a 2.8 student (to make the avg 3.4). But realistically, most students fall between the 3.2-3.6 gpa range.

Good luck.

EDIT: Forgot to add I had a huge upward trend over my last 60 units, which really helped. After my last semester, probably around a 3.4 gpa so I'm probably closer to a 3.0-3.1 by now.

7. firstgeneration

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Rolling admissions...what is that..can you explain to me in more detail. Also thanks for your suggestions, i would take the tips and suggestions and hopefully improve my chances of getting into pharmacy schools.:p

8. themorphinerule

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist

Hey guy/gal:

Rolling admission simply means that a decision is made as soon as the application is received. Alot of schools hold on to your application and compare it to all the other applicants once the deadline is reached. If the school admits on a rolling basis, that just simply means that they review your application and make a decision before the deadline is reached. The obvious advantage to this is that if you apply super early, you can assume that you beat out the really strong applicants who might apply later. By beating the crowd your application is reviewed early on while there are, say, 200 seats of 200 seats available. You're likely to qualify for a spot because with all the seats available, the committee may be less discriminating on "little" things like GPA, PCAT, LORs and work experience. Now when it's down to the wire and say there are only 20 seats of 200 seats left, only the best of the best will get accepted, or be invited for an interview. So apply early when applying to a school that admits on a rolling basis, esp. if you're on the lower end of their admission scores.:smuggrin:

9. DoNtGIvEUp

DoNtGIvEUp Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    pliz tell me how u prepared for ur pcat, did u study by urself? or did take a pcatprep class? if u did prepare by urself ? how ? and were u an instate or out of state student ? tnx a lot!

10. DoNtGIvEUp

DoNtGIvEUp Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    pliz tell me how u prepared for ur pcat, did u study by urself? or did take a pcatprep class? if u did prepare by urself ? how ? and were u an instate or out of state student ? tnx a lot!

11. DoNtGIvEUp

DoNtGIvEUp Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    hey when u apply early, does it mean u have to finish all the requirements....?l or u can still apply even though u havent taken the pcat yet and u still have classes left to be taken? pliz i need help ! im planning to apply for 2008 and i want to apply early in August 2007, but i still have some classes that have to take .. like BIO 2, pha&ana 2, physics 1 &2 , and caluclus 1&2,and i havent taken the pcat yet. so wat do guys say about this. tnx!

12. binghamkid

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

For early decision, they would prefer to see more of your prereq classes done. You will have to submit an estimated completion schedule in the application so they know when you will finish those classes. You can apply if you haven't finished prereqs; just remember, if you have too many to finish, they may not be able to make as effective a judgement call on your application. But, if your GPA is very high, you still have a chance.

13. bubblechasincat

bubblechasincat New Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    hi, does anyone have a list of pharm schools that have rolling admissions? (and which ones are private schools) - please do reply to me! thank you =)

14. binghamkid

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

I don't have the list off the top of my head (because I just woke up with this major headache), but if you utilize the search functions and the FAQs, I bet you'll find your answer faster than I can find my Tylenol. =)

15. DoNtGIvEUp

DoNtGIvEUp Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    thank u