Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

GPA question you'd think would have an easy answer... (repeat classes)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LizUMD, Jun 4, 2008.

1. LizUMD

LizUMD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

... but no. Read everything I can find on the internet, asked a pre-med advisor, and searched SDN but no clear answer! If you repeat a course, yes I know that the grades for the course are "averaged" but what about the credits? For example, if you take a four-credit class and get a C, repeat it and get an A... I know it works out to a B but is it factored as four credits with a B or eight credits with a B? If you've repeated a lot of classes as a non-trad trying to recover your GPA... it makes a difference!

2. wizenedone

wizenedone Indeed...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    All the credits would count. So, it'll be 8 credits in your example.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, there is a clear answer. it averages out to an 8 credit B. You have 4 credits of C and 4 credits of A. Simple.

4. wizenedone

wizenedone Indeed...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    OP - it is just like taking another class. Even though you are repeating, but for AMCAS GPA-wise..think of it as if you took a "different" class.

5. LizUMD

LizUMD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks for the response, but I didn't really think it was that clear at all. Saying that your grade for the class will be averaged could be taken two different ways. One, like someone else suggested, is to think of it as just taking a second class. Another is to think of it as earning that averaged grade for the one course, i.e. only being given credit for the course once, but with the averaged grade. This is usually the way undergraduate institutions do their GPA calculations. Even the pre-med advisor at my alma mater, a major state university, admitted she didn't really know and I was the first person who had asked it that way.

But in any event, I guess now I finally have my answer so no big deal. Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!