GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverBandCry!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suppose someone has a 3.8 overall GPA is that good enough for top med schools? Places like Harvard and JHU say that the average GPA of people who matriculated is a 3.8, so are they referring to overall or science GPA? Also does it look bad if your science GPA is lower than your overall?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

SilverBandCry! said:
Suppose someone has a 3.8 overall GPA and a 3.7 science GPA, is that good enough for top med schools? Places like Harvard and JHU say that the average GPA of people who matriculated is a 3.8, so are they referring to overall or science GPA? Also does it look bad if your overall is higher than your science GPA?

Thanks

That is a competitive GPA. But remember, medical schools look at the whole package, including MCAT, Extra-curr, service, research, etc. Also, the stats are averages or means. So there are always students that fall above and below those values. And I think those values are overall (unless otherwise stated). Take a shot...and see what happens.

photo_girl07 said:
That is a competitive GPA. But remember, medical schools look at the whole package, including MCAT, Extra-curr, service, research, etc. Also, the stats are averages or means. So there are always students that fall above and below those values. And I think those values are overall (unless otherwise stated). Take a shot...and see what happens.

Thanks! What MCAT do you think I should I aim for?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're GPA is fine. Just worry about the other stuff (ECs, recommendations, and of course, the MCAT).
-Dr. P.

SilverBandCry! said:

For a top tier school? Highest Avg MCAT I've seen is 36, so I'd aim for somewhere in there. You should definitely aim for something above a 30.

SilverBandCry! said:
Suppose someone has a 3.8 overall GPA and a 3.7 science GPA, is that good enough for top med schools? Places like Harvard and JHU say that the average GPA of people who matriculated is a 3.8, so are they referring to overall or science GPA? Also does it look bad if your science GPA is lower than your overall?

Thanks

I think you're fishing for compliments....

Purchase the MSAR and you won't have to be concerned about the validity of anyone's comments.

Science average is typically lower than overall. A 3.8 is solid but if you're taking slack classes, med schools will notice this. MCAT is equally as important as your gpa, so you'll be needing to have a 33-36+ on your mcat if you're looking for the "top" med schools

Dr.TobiasFünke said:

dude relax he's just asking a question...

SilverBandCry! said:
Suppose someone has a 3.8 overall GPA and a 3.7 science GPA, is that good enough for top med schools?

*whimpers

ditto

Dr.TobiasFünke said:

Dr.TobiasFünke said:

Dude, give the kid a break. He has a 3.7 which is not that high above the average, did not state any ECs, and didn't boast a ridiculously high MCAT. Stop attacking people for asking appropriate questions :thumbdown: :mad:

Dr.Acula said:
Dude, give the kid a break. He has a 3.7 which is not that high above the average, did not state any ECs, and didn't boast a ridiculously high MCAT. Stop attacking people for asking appropriate questions :thumbdown: :mad:

I agree with Tobi. Also, I did not view his comments about fishing as an attack. And I should know, I'm a fish.

I wasn't fishing for compliments. I genuinely wanted to know. It's not as if I have a 4.0 GPA. And I admit that looking through mdapplicant profiles made me a little worried. Also, I am not a "he," I am a girl.

SilverBandCry! said:
Suppose someone has a 3.8 overall GPA and a 3.7 science GPA, is that good enough for top med schools? Places like Harvard and JHU say that the average GPA of people who matriculated is a 3.8, so are they referring to overall or science GPA? Also does it look bad if your science GPA is lower than your overall?

Thanks

A 3.8 is right on target for the top schools; however, even with a 3.8 there is no guarantee for places like HMS or JH. A good GPA and MCAT will get your foot in the door but you need to differentiate yourself with stellar extracurricular, research, perhaps a publication or two in a meaningful peer journal, volunteer work and a great interview. These places receive close to 6000 highly qualified applicants for about 150 spots. If you have the numbers you need the other things to set you apart. Even with that, it’s still competitive. Your GPA is great… don’t worry about it.

SilverBandCry! said:

AIM for a 45! :laugh:

Anything above 30 is competitive with those numbers.

glck

-PG

Law2Doc said:
Always aim for a 45. You won't get it, but that's what you shoot for.
Beat me to it. Who aims for less than their best on a test?