GPA question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nikeshp, Jun 3, 2008.

1. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    My high school had a program with my university, where getting a certain grade in a couple of courses would give you college credit. I did this for gen chem (I am taking upper level courses, all schools i am applying to will accept this, but this isnt the point of the thread) I talked to AMCAS and they said they don't accept high school transcripts. On my academic record, it lists gen chem as transfer, not AP. will the grade i recieved in my gen chem course matter? i only took half of the final and walked out in like 20 minutes just because i got lazy, which dropped my grade to a 92, which was a B in high school. I know this isnt a big deal, but thus far i have a 4.0, and it would suck for that to be ruined because of me being lazy second semester senior year of high school.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. armybound

armybound future urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    you should enter that exactly as it shows up on your college transcript.

4. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    on my transcript, it only lists my high school name and says 8 credit hours. the transcript doesn't even show that i have credit for general chemistry. i just finished my freshman year, so i still have a while for that, just thinking about it in ahead. how would i enter this in amcas?

5. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    i should add that its not a public university with a great reputation, but it is known, i think maybe ranked in the 20s of us news best public universities.

6. armybound

Resident [Any Field]
    I have transfer credit from my community college to my university. I took 6 hours of courses at a community college (As) and then got the credit transfered to my main university. They didn't accept the grades, but they did accept the credit (5 hours of it, anyway).

So on my community college transcript, I have 6 hours of As. On my university transcript, I have 5 hours of transfer credit with no grade and no course title, just "transfer credit". That's exactly how they're entered into AMCAS

7. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    so how will med schools know that i have credit for gen chem?

8. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    PS, aren't you required to send your community college transcript to amcas then?

mine was high school, but i thought they want transcript from any post-secondary schools

9. chad5871

Resident [Any Field]
    This is correct. You have to send transcripts from all colleges, even community colleges or junior colleges.

10. armybound

Resident [Any Field]
    according to AMCAS, you haven't. AP credit often isn't accepted for pre-req credit.

and yes, I'll have to send my community college transcript. You won't have to send your high school transcript, though. They only want colleges.

11. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    would it be acceptable for when the time comes, to email all of the schools i am applying to and let them know the 8 hrs listed by my high school is for gen chem? or would i be able to list in on amcas when i have credit from gen chem that i took in high school (not while in high school at a community college or the equivalent) it was pretty much pass/fail though, so i know it won't fulfill the inorganic chem requirement a lot of schools have, but i want them to know that i do have credit for gen chem

12. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member

Medical Student
    My high school had a similar program, and it was through a state school (university of wisconsin, oshkosh). So, even though I never went to UW Oshkosh, I have a transcript there for the few classes I took at my high school. This transcript got sent to Oshkosh to show that I have college credits (and grades that got calculated into my AMCAS GPA) for Gen Chem and other courses.

Bottom line, I think if a college transcript exists somewhere with your Gen Chem grade, then it will have to be submitted to AMCAS.

13. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    well the thing is, i only got the gen chem credit if i went to one of the two state schools, so i did. the only place where my gen chem grade is listed is my high school transcript. my school transcript only lists my high schools name. and i know amcas doesn't care about high school transcript, so i figure my grade in gen chem doesn't really matter for amcas, at least i hope so. now i will just have to email the schools i want to go to and make sure everything is all right. sound good?

14. xiaoyi666

xiaoyi666 The General

Pre-Medical
    I'm pretty sure that's untrue. Nearly all of my pre-req courses (basic bio + labs, basic chem + labs, stat, math, english) were taken out by AP credits and I know several others with similar cases. It shouldn't an issue when applying especially if you take additional higher level courses.

15. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    yeah i know most of the schools i am applying to take AP credit if supplemented. but with my chem, it is a special case, kind of like an AP course, because it was taken in high school, but making an A or B in the course was good enough to exempt me, so i didn't bother taking the AP test (it was an AP class by the way)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    i guess my best bet would be to call amcas and ask them myself