GPA question =[

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What changed this semester that made you suddenly start attending class and wanting to make A's?

I tried changing myself last semester, but that just ended up even worse as i spent more time in the library but my concentration was way off. I have a really bad case of ADHD (no joke) and it was hard for me to concentrate.

This semester, the whole idea of me "NOT" being able to med school has really been stuck in the forefront of my mind and that is what is driving me to excel from here onward.

Members don't see this ad.

How have you found this out in one semester, especially since it isn't even over yet...

I know what i am capable of because i wasn't always like those first 3 semesters. I knew what to do in high school and did exactly that. Then some things just took my focus off the track and ive gotten it back on track.

This semester, ive noticed drastic changes in the way ive been doing things. No laziness, nothing of that sort. Ive gone back to my old way of doing things as i did in high school.

I know what i am capable of because i wasn't always like those first 3 semesters. I knew what to do in high school and did exactly that. Then some things just took my focus off the track and ive gotten it back on track.

This semester, ive noticed drastic changes in the way ive been doing things. No laziness, nothing of that sort. Ive gone back to my old way of doing things as i did in high school.

Okay well I wish you good luck in your journey despite my disbelief in your story. I hope your renewed sense of motivation keeps your momentum going over the coming semesters.

I still think its a little premature to assume you'll be able to handle 18 units per semester and get A's in everything for the rest of your undergrad career when you haven't even completed one semester at a 4.0. And of course once you start upper division courses things will become a lot more difficult. I agree with the previous posters that suggested taking your time and not rushing or overloading yourself. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what i considered doing, slowing it down and taking the full 4 years and taking my time with the classes, but I found that i can take the classes and still get A's in them with an 18hour course load.

I will definitely take this into consideration as it is something that i've pondered about myself. Thanks.

Even if you could get A's in the 18 hour course load, you should not plan to graduate earlier. Two more semesters of A's will pull your GPA closer to the competitive range for more schools. You have already dug too much of a hole to consider graduating early. Put that idea out of your mind. One year is meaningless in a 40 year career. Forget about it. Plus you now have to prove yourself and don't want to limit the time interval during which you have to prove yourself to adcoms. Plan on AT LEAST the full 4 years of college, and if you are smart, possibly an SMP on top of that, depending on your final GPA and MCAT score. A 3.3 with lots of retakes of Ds doesn't get you into many schools, and is not as big a red flag as someone who got that GPA with A's and B's. (Also bear in mind that a retake doesn't give you the A for that course, it gives you the average of the two. So it averages out to a C+. A C+ average in prereqs isn't good enough for med schools.) You need more time to prove yourself. Use it well. Don't try to cut it short out of some misguided idea that getting to med school faster is better.

Im interested to see how you were able to get such a high score without putting any effort into your pre-req courses. You must have some kind of technique that gave you such a huge edge. Would you mind sharing what tools/books you used and over what period of time you studied?

I simply asked my Psych teachers how i should study for this exam and then i asked the med school advisor how i should be studying. I basically implemented all of their techniques and have been spending countless hours studying for it and it seems to be paying off.

Ive taken numerous practice exams from past years, past books. I seem to have a new book in my hands each time thanks to my parents.

Tool wise, i used a lot of flash cards. In addition to those, i spent 20 minutes studying one subject and a 5 minute break in between. the next 20 minute session would involve a different subject. Another break and another subject.

Not sure if it would work for you all but it works for me because that is where ive found the most efficiency for myself. Book wise, ive looked at every single book available and ive also taken look back at the notes from my AP classes from high school (especially physics because our teacher was simply the best).

And i like to think of my memory as amazing.

Okay well I wish you good luck in your journey despite my disbelief in your story. I hope your renewed sense of motivation keeps your momentum going over the coming semesters.

I still think its a little premature to assume you'll be able to handle 18 units per semester and get A's in everything for the rest of your undergrad career when you haven't even completed one semester at a 4.0. And of course once you start upper division courses things will become a lot more difficult. I agree with the previous posters that suggested taking your time and not rushing or overloading yourself. Good luck

Thanks, i am taking upper division courses right now.

Even if you could get A's in the 18 hour course load, you should not plan to graduate earlier. Two more semesters of A's will pull your GPA closer to the competitive range for more schools. You have already dug too much of a hole to consider graduating early. Put that idea out of your mind. One year is meaningless in a 40 year career. Forget about it. Plus you now have to prove yourself and don't want to limit the time interval during which you have to prove yourself to adcoms. Plan on AT LEAST the full 4 years of college, and if you are smart, possibly an SMP on top of that, depending on your final GPA and MCAT score. A 3.3 with lots of retakes of Ds doesn't get you into many schools, and is not as big a red flag as someone who got that GPA with A's and B's. You need more time to prove yourself. Use it well. Don't try to cut it short out of some misguided idea that getting to med school faster is better.

I will try and do that, thanks for the advice.

I call bullsh*t.

How on earth could you get D's in all your pre-req classes and be able to manage such a high average on practice MCATs? You mean to tell me that your exposure to these topics over a 1.5 year span wasn't sufficient to get you even a C in the courses but you have somehow made time to study the same subjects on your own enough to get a 38-42 on the MCAT? When/how did you start studying for the MCAT?

Also if you get a D in a course how can you continue on to the next level? IE bio 1->bio 2, chem 1a->chem 1b. If you had at least passed your pre-reqs the most advanced course you could be in would be org II this current semester. But you said you got d's, so what have you been doing? Taking one pre-req from each department (bio, chem, calc) per semester lol

Even if this story of yours is true, you're still ridiculous. You need to re-evaluate your priorities.

My thoughts exactly. I smelled BS the moment I read the OP and was seeing if someone else spotted it.

OP you're full of it lolwut.

My thoughts exactly. I smelled BS the moment I read the OP and was seeing if someone else spotted it.

OP you're full of it lolwut.

am I right? lol.

obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

come back when you have real scores and grades. Half the people on here say they will get As and score a 42 on the MCAT. What you say does not matter, only what you do.

Any other suggestions guys? thanks so far!

yeh...stop lying lol. What's the point of making up the story about your supposedly high MCAT?

I mean really, if you're sGPA is lower than 2.17, where did you manage to find the time to extensively study for the MCAT and dish out 38 to 42(43 in this thread) in your practice exams?

27xe70w.jpg

why not take summer classes, and winter classes. And not just stack up on easy classes. Take challenging classes that will push you to the limits. Med-school's alot of work, and the more that med schools see you can take, the better it shows. you may end up having to take a 5th year though. try the summer and winter classes, if you school has those...they may save time.

yeh...stop lying lol. What's the point of making up the story about your supposedly high MCAT?

I mean really, if you're sGPA is lower than 2.17, where did you manage to find the time to extensively study for the MCAT and dish out 38 to 42(43 in this thread) in your practice exams?

27xe70w.jpg

hey now, this individual just asked for some advice; if you don't have any, then posting things that may otherwise offend this person and/or make them feel bad are not really needed. That's just not nice.

hey now, this individual just asked for some advice; if you don't have any, then posting things that may otherwise offend this person and/or make them feel bad are not really needed. That's just not nice.

i think some people call that trolling, the thing you are referring to.

You can do it! We make mistakes, but we learn from them!

27xe70w.jpg

As if! People can change you know! Its always the first year of college. We feel as if we are still in high school, then we realized we need to get our act up and know that we are in college!

He is just trying to ask for help. True or it may not, a question is a question!

I merged your two active threads as they are practically the same question, and moved them to the What Are My Chances? forum.

almost in the same boat here, 2.0 for 2 semesters, with a strong upward trend. Unfortunately I cannot encourage by telling you im in med school, as Ill be applying this cycle.
Be careful on the mcat, scoring high on the practice exams does not mean youll do well on the real one. That also happened to me, where I was scoring 34-36 on the practice and only got a 30 on the real one. It is definitely a different experience taking it in your room, from taking it at a test center with all the pressure. Good luck.