GPA ranges

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by NUT, Oct 18, 2000.

1. NUT

NUT Member
    10+ Year Member

I have a question about the GPA and MCAT ranges of those applicants that are accepted to an Osteopathic School. I find osteopathy a very fascinating form of medicine. I've found many statistical references regarding "average" GPAs and MCATs for osteopathic schools, but I'm curious about the statistical "Ranges" of those stats.

Thanks for your time
    NUT

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kidterrific

kidterrific Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That's the beauty of DO schools - they look at your ENTIRE app, and go from there.

But if you want solid numbers, it varies from school to school. Try going to www.aacom.org and going to each school's link from there and see what they are asking for.

You should be fine (I hope). Good luck!

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

4. NUT

NUT Member
    10+ Year Member

I checked the site you referred me to and I found "mean" GPAs. I'm really curious about the ranges of GPA of accepted students. Could you give me an educated guess?

5. kidterrific

kidterrific Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

What do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhinoceris?

ELIPHINO! In other words, HELL IF I KNOW! I couldn't tell you. I've heard stories up the wazoo about what got people in to different schools. I'm pretty sure you're asking to see if you have what it takes. So here's my OPINION: 3.5 with a 27 and I feel you've got a chance of being somewhere next year. The higher you are, the better your chances. The lower you are, the lower your chances (until you hit 3.0). That's just my shot in the dark. Other things help - my grad school GPA is what got me in.

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't take this as law, but I have heard of people getting into schools who had a GPA as low as a 2.9. I have also heard about people with GPA's of 3.75 not getting in.
    I have heard of people with 22 MCAT getting in...and people with 36 MCAT not getting in.
    What's the moral of this story ladies and gentleman?
    Good numbers are a plus, but good test takers don't always make the best doctors.

Best of luck to all of you.

------------------
    Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
    "D.O. Wannabe"

7. BD

BD Member
    10+ Year Member

The avg gpa for DO class of 2003 was 3.45 and mcat was approx.27. obviously some are lower and some are higher.