GPA Repair Advice (Recent PreMed/NonTrad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurpleCladm8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated in December 2015 from a University of California with a B.S. in Exercise Biology. Admittedly, I didn't have much of a direction and perhaps wasn't as motivated in regards to academics as I should have been. I finished with a cumulative uGPA of 3.32 and I estimate my sGPA to be very similar (maybe a hair lower). I have come to recent realization that going to Medical School is something that I want to pursue and am very much looking forward to the next 1-2 years to build a solid resume and make myself a competent applicant (I am 23 y.o. and am okay being a NonTrad).

So where I currently stand:
B.S. -3.32 cGPA, similar sGPA
No MCAT yet
No research
Over 1300 clinical hours as a Physical therapy tech. (Plenty of hands-on patient care). My goal is to accumulate another 1000 clinical hours in another setting before applying.
I will begin volunteering/shadowing this summer and plan on continuing until I apply.

So with my current GPA situation should I do a DIY post-bacc and if so, what should I be aiming for in terms of GPA to at least have a chance for MD? Masters? Formal post-bacc? I should mention that I am from a very low income family and I am also financially limited. I plan on paying out of pocket for whatever further route I take but will take out a student loan if needed to give myself the best shot of getting into Med School.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was in your position with a much lower GPA. I had also undergone many personal and financial problems and never reached nor saw my full potential. You could take a Special masters program designed to improve GPA( you would need to take the MCAT to apply) or you can do a postboc program. I moved back home and took 36 hours of all upper level science classes and finished with a 3.87. I began teaching, volunteering at my church and doing research I was able to get 3 publications. I was accepted this year into two schools and I'm waitlisted at 2 more. Very possible just make sure you apply early and your able to tell your story. Also medical schools are looking to bring students in from low income or disadvantaged areas. It adds diversity to school and produces physicians who can relate to patients from all walks of life. Best of luck if you really want something you can get it. Also I know many schools like Wayne that will replace your science GPA with at least 21 hours of upper level science classes. Make a plan and stick with it. Take it one semester at a time

Before people can give you advice, you have to list your pre-reqs and your grades.

If you have 1300 hours as a physical therapy tech, why are you going into medicine anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I know many schools like Wayne that will replace your science GPA with at least 21 hours of upper level science classes.
Could you name others?
I understand there may be another in MI that does something like this.
I know TX has Fresh Start.

Before people can give you advice, you have to list your pre-reqs and your grades.

If you have 1300 hours as a physical therapy tech, why are you going into medicine anyway?
I was on the quarter system so my Pre-reqs look like:

Calculus 1/2/3 - A/A/A
Statistics (for Bio) -B+
Gen Chem 1/2/3 - C+/B-/B
Organic Chem 1/2 - B+/A
Biochemistry - C+
Bio 1/2/3 - B/B/B
Physics 1/2/3 - B/A/B+

As for your question, after graduating I moved back home. I live in a very small rural town (population 6000) and it was literally the only Healthcare related job available. I figured it would at least be an opportunity to gain some experience in a clinical setting. I am moving to a larger city in a month and will have many more opportunities.

I was on the quarter system so my Pre-reqs look like:

Calculus 1/2/3 - A/A/A
Statistics (for Bio) -B+
Gen Chem 1/2/3 - C+/B-/B
Organic Chem 1/2 - B+/A
Biochemistry - C+
Bio 1/2/3 - B/B/B
Physics 1/2/3 - B/A/B+

As for your question, after graduating I moved back home. I live in a very small rural town (population 6000) and it was literally the only Healthcare related job available. I figured it would at least be an opportunity to gain some experience in a clinical setting. I am moving to a larger city in a month and will have many more opportunities.

Why do you want to do a post-bacc then? I'm confused, how would a post-bacc help you?

Your goal at this point should be the MCAT and doing very very well. Spend more time on that. Since you are moving to a larger city, go do at least two clinically related activities for a year while you study for the mcat and apply.

If GPA is a concern, you can't do much because you graduated already. Perhaps a masters program but I still say the MCAT is the most important. Get that score and go from there.

Why do you want to do a post-bacc then? I'm confused, how would a post-bacc help you?

Your goal at this point should be the MCAT and doing very very well. Spend more time on that. Since you are moving to a larger city, go do at least two clinically related activities for a year while you study for the mcat and apply.

If GPA is a concern, you can't do much because you graduated already. Perhaps a masters program but I still say the MCAT is the most important. Get that score and go from there.
Cool. Thanks for the advice. I guess I was just concerned that if all other aspects come together (and I am going to do everything in my power to ensure that they do), my GPA might still be a severely limiting factor being that it is still much lower than that of the average matriculating student. So I was wondering what would be the most efficient path to improving it. Appreciate the feedback though.

You're fine right now for any DO program.

For MD, you will need to ace a DIY post-bac or SMP (GPA 3.7+), and ace MCAT (513+) as well.

So I graduated in December 2015 from a University of California with a B.S. in Exercise Biology. Admittedly, I didn't have much of a direction and perhaps wasn't as motivated in regards to academics as I should have been. I finished with a cumulative uGPA of 3.32 and I estimate my sGPA to be very similar (maybe a hair lower). I have come to recent realization that going to Medical School is something that I want to pursue and am very much looking forward to the next 1-2 years to build a solid resume and make myself a competent applicant (I am 23 y.o. and am okay being a NonTrad).

So where I currently stand:
B.S. -3.32 cGPA, similar sGPA
No MCAT yet
No research
Over 1300 clinical hours as a Physical therapy tech. (Plenty of hands-on patient care). My goal is to accumulate another 1000 clinical hours in another setting before applying.
I will begin volunteering/shadowing this summer and plan on continuing until I apply.

So with my current GPA situation should I do a DIY post-bacc and if so, what should I be aiming for in terms of GPA to at least have a chance for MD? Masters? Formal post-bacc? I should mention that I am from a very low income family and I am also financially limited. I plan on paying out of pocket for whatever further route I take but will take out a student loan if needed to give myself the best shot of getting into Med School.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!! Thanks

Reactions: 1 user