GPA requirement for English/Scottish/Irish medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowyface

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated from a Canadian university with a BSc degree. However, my GPA sucks so much but I still managed to get into a MSc program in Hong Kong. I am not in the science stream right now but would like to pursue a career in medicine. So I would like to know what GPA are the English/Scottish/Irish universities looking for. And the thing is, the university I obtained my BSc degree from did not use GPA, instead, it used letter grades as well as %. So how would I transform the % calculation into GPA?

And I would like to know, which medical schools will have a lower GPA requirement, but still not too crappy as of the quality? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got into UCD with 3.5 and from what I know, that's a great school, super huge with lots of $$$ and research happening.

Members don't see this ad :)
British med schools don't tend to use GPA. We have no "crappy" med schools, all of ours are considered totally equal. The individual school websites will tell you their requirements and contact details if you can't find them. Usually requirements will be similar to those of your home country.

I was just wondering if you dont make the required GPA cut off does your application automatically get rejected? Sine Im applying to Dental schools and most of them have a GPA cutoff of about 3.5 and above however my GPA is a 3.2 when I told them this they told me not to even bother to apply, however my friends studying in england told me not to listen to them?
so i was a bit confused
could anyone maybe clarify that matter?
Thanks
Ali

I was just wondering if you dont make the required GPA cut off does your application automatically get rejected? Sine Im applying to Dental schools and most of them have a GPA cutoff of about 3.5 and above however my GPA is a 3.2 when I told them this they told me not to even bother to apply, however my friends studying in england told me not to listen to them?
so i was a bit confused
could anyone maybe clarify that matter?
Thanks
Ali

I would listen to the admissions people and not apply.
Here are few points to consider :

1) Schools will ALWAYS try to convince everyone to apply so they can make $$$ off of your ridiculously expensive application fees.

Take Canadian med schools for example, they say " you need at least a 3.0 GPA to apply " but in actuality, it's more like 3.7 (+), but they don't say that, cause they want to make money off of you.

2) GPA cut offs are very strict. They basically put everyone in the computer system, highlight anyone who does not meet the GPA cut off then they hit the "DELETE" button. Unless you're in a some special applicant pool like " aboriginal / french speakers / rural & underserviced " etc ...

University of Ottawa Medical School has a 3.87 GPA cut off, even if you have 3.8, they won't look at your application.

I would listen to the admissions people and not apply.
Here are few points to consider :

1) Schools will ALWAYS try to convince everyone to apply so they can make $$$ off of your ridiculously expensive application fees.

Take Canadian med schools for example, they say " you need at least a 3.0 GPA to apply " but in actuality, it's more like 3.7 (+), but they don't say that, cause they want to make money off of you.

2) GPA cut offs are very strict. They basically put everyone in the computer system, highlight anyone who does not meet the GPA cut off then they hit the "DELETE" button. Unless you're in a some special applicant pool like " aboriginal / french speakers / rural & underserviced " etc ...

University of Ottawa Medical School has a 3.87 GPA cut off, even if you have 3.8, they won't look at your application.

This is regarding what maserati said, I understand its computerized and all but I know personally of people who applied with a 3.0 and have gotten into dental programs requiring at least a 3.5. Even the schools themselves they arent too sure about the conversion system.
I was a bit confused myself, would anyone happen to know what a 2.1 or a 2.2 is in the canadian GPA units?
Also considering my grades where would I have the highest chances in applying?
Thanks
Ali

Also considering my grades where would I have the highest chances in applying?

with a 3.2 forget Canada if you're Cnd though. I would say don't bother applying to US as well unless you apply to DO schools. Your best bet is Australia or Caribbean for the Med purpose. For dent apply to US schools and you are competitive there, though you need to ace the DAT.

It costs a total of about £15 to apply to med school in the UK.

It costs a total of about £15 to apply to med school in the UK.

Yes, BAMBI, that is true if you are have UK citizenship and are applying directly to their schools.

My comment on application cost was direct at the question that started this thread, asked by a Canadian student.

And we, Canadian students applying to Irish meds have to apply through the Atlantic Bridge Program which costs ~$100 per school.

Got it?

Yes, BAMBI, that is true if you are have UK citizenship and are applying directly to their schools.

My comment on application cost was direct at the question that started this thread, asked by a Canadian student.

And we, Canadian students applying to Irish meds have to apply through the Atlantic Bridge Program which costs ~$100 per school.

Got it?

The thread is about UK schools too! You can't apply directly to UK schools, having UK citizenship makes no difference, everyone applying to a UK school has to do it through UCAS which costs about £15 as I said. The OP didn't just ask about Irish schools and you clearly don't know anything about applying to UK schools so get your facts right before you start getting arsey with people.