GPA requirements and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsBrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm applying to medical school this year and I'm trying be sure that all the schools that I apply to don't have any specific GPA requirements. Here's a list of the schools I am applying to:
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine,
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine,
University of Pikeville–Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine,
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine,
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine at New Mexico State University,
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus,
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine,
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific,
Lincoln Memorial University–DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine.

From what I have read on each school's website, these schools do not have a specific GPA requirement. If you do know of any of the schools on my list requiring a certain GPA to apply, please let me know. I do not desire to apply to schools with minimum GPA requirements.

Also, I reviewed the preliminary scoring from my April 2015 MCAT and it does not look so good. I plan to retake the MCAT August 22nd and I know I will do much better. Since I'm applying this cycle, should I submit my bad scores and let each school know that I am retaking the MCAT or should I leave my application incomplete and submit MCAT scores in late September? I'm trying to submit my application as early as possible in order to have an advantage.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends, what are your stats?

Most schools won't post what their GPA cutoffs are. You go by their average GPA and MCAT and make an educated guess if you're within their range.

Depends, what are your stats?

Most schools won't post what their GPA cutoffs are. You go by their average GPA and MCAT and make an educated guess if you're within their range.

My cumulative GPA is 3.17 and my science GPA is a 2.65, but I'm currently retaking a biochem class so these stats will slightly change. I know my science GPA is horrible so that's why I'm trying to avoid schools with GPA requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
My cumulative GPA is 3.17 and my science GPA is a 2.65, but I'm currently retaking a biochem class so these stats will slightly change. I know my science GPA is horrible so that's why I'm trying to avoid schools with GPA requirements.

Even so, they have averages in the 3.X range for sGPA. I would recommend retaking those classes that you didn't do well in to get it to the 3.X to even start applying.

Most schools do post their average GPA and MCAT. You can see what they are and if you're within range.

Even so, they have averages in the 3.X range for sGPA. I would recommend retaking those classes that you didn't do well in to get it to the 3.X to even start applying.

Most schools do post their average GPA and MCAT. You can see what they are and if you're within range.

Thanks! I was just curious. I probably will not retake anymore classes since I'm already on my 4th retake class. Since I'm done with my pre-reqs I think it's in my best interest to apply. Plus, I can always improve my MCAT score. I have heard of some people getting into Osteopathic school with a sub 3.0 sci GPA. I'm sure it doesn't happen that often, but I would be satisfied with just presenting the best application I can at this point without investing in anymore coursework. Also, I do have a plan B and C if med school does not work out.

That sGPA is going to end your chances. Most schools have "official" GPA cutoffs in the 2.75-2.8 range, but 3.0 is more like it. KCUMB's is 3.25. You really need to retake as many classes as you can to raise your sGPA up to a minimum of 3.0. Doing so will also raise your cGPA.

Since I'm done with my pre-reqs I think it's in my best interest to apply. Plus, I can always improve my MCAT score. I have heard of some people getting into Osteopathic school with a sub 3.0 sci GPA. I'm sure it doesn't happen that often, but I would be satisfied with just presenting the best application I can at this point without investing in anymore coursework. Also, I do have a plan B and C if med school does not work out.

You need to be more serious about your application. Applying with a 2.65 sGPA and then saying, "Also, I do have a plan B and C if med school does not work out." isn't realistic. If you're going to put the time, money, and effort into applying, why not present the best possible application as you stated?

Plus, a number of the schools you listed are top tier.

Not trying to be a Debby Downer, but just want you to step back, do some research, and see the disadvantage you are putting yourself at by applying now. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Hey everyone! I'm applying to medical school this year and I'm trying be sure that all the schools that I apply to don't have any specific GPA requirements. Here's a list of the schools I am applying to:
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine,
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine,
University of Pikeville–Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine,
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine,
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine at New Mexico State University,
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus,
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine,
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific,
Lincoln Memorial University–DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine.

From what I have read on each school's website, these schools do not have a specific GPA requirement. If you do know of any of the schools on my list requiring a certain GPA to apply, please let me know. I do not desire to apply to schools with minimum GPA requirements.

Also, I reviewed the preliminary scoring from my April 2015 MCAT and it does not look so good. I plan to retake the MCAT August 22nd and I know I will do much better. Since I'm applying this cycle, should I submit my bad scores and let each school know that I am retaking the MCAT or should I leave my application incomplete and submit MCAT scores in late September? I'm trying to submit my application as early as possible in order to have an advantage.

Thanks!
That sGPA will get you in nowhere. Take a year off, retake all course work under a 2.5, and apply next cycle.

Thanks! I was just curious. I probably will not retake anymore classes since I'm already on my 4th retake class. Since I'm done with my pre-reqs I think it's in my best interest to apply. Plus, I can always improve my MCAT score. I have heard of some people getting into Osteopathic school with a sub 3.0 sci GPA. I'm sure it doesn't happen that often, but I would be satisfied with just presenting the best application I can at this point without investing in anymore coursework. Also, I do have a plan B and C if med school does not work out.

I would NOT apply with that sGPA. You're just going to throw money away on applications (which could be better spent improving your app by retaking classes.)

No chance with that sgpa. Do not apply.

I would NOT apply with that sGPA. You're just going to throw money away on applications (which could be better spent improving your app by retaking classes.)
I will be taking more science classes in the fall and the spring, but these classes are for another program. Will medical schools takes these classes into consideration as well?

I will be taking more science classes in the fall and the spring, but these classes are for another program. Will medical schools takes these classes into consideration as well?

You should look on the AACOMAS Instructions and FAQS and look at which classes count as sGPA. There were plenty under "Other Science" that counts as sGPA.

If med school is really what you want to do, retake the classes. Taking more/different science classes will not change the GPA's as much as retaking them will.

That sGPA is going to end your chances. Most schools have "official" GPA cutoffs in the 2.75-2.8 range, but 3.0 is more like it. KCUMB's is 3.25. You really need to retake as many classes as you can to raise your sGPA up to a minimum of 3.0. Doing so will also raise your cGPA.

You need to be more serious about your application. Applying with a 2.65 sGPA and then saying, "Also, I do have a plan B and C if med school does not work out." isn't realistic. If you're going to put the time, money, and effort into applying, why not present the best possible application as you stated?

Plus, a number of the schools you listed are top tier.

Not trying to be a Debby Downer, but just want you to step back, do some research, and see the disadvantage you are putting yourself at by applying now. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I know getting into medical school with my GPA is a stretch, but it's not impossible. I've already reviewed the matriculation data and there are students with my stats that are admitted to Osteopathic schools every year. Also, I am very serious about my applications to medical school. That's why I consult with my advisors, seek advice on forums, and do the best I can overall. Having a backup plan is realistic. Most people don't get into medical school even if they do have good stats. There are just too many applicants for available seats. The time and money that it would take to retake some of my pre-reqs would be more than my application fees and efforts combined. This is just my thought process on this situation. I have worked very hard to just complete my coursework and I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt in just applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know getting into medical school with my GPA is a stretch, but it's not impossible. I've already reviewed the matriculation data and there are students with my stats that are admitted to Osteopathic schools every year. Also, I am very serious about my applications to medical school. That's why I consult with my advisors, seek advice on forums, and do the best I can overall. Having a backup plan is realistic. Most people don't get into medical school even if they do have good stats. There are just too many applicants for available seats. The time and money that it would take to retake some of my pre-reqs would be more than my application fees and efforts combined. This is just my thought process on this situation. I have worked very hard to just complete my coursework and I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt in just applying.

You can apply, but if you are truly serious about medicine you would retake those classes. If you're not URM there will not be any interviews offered with that GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
If med school is really what you want to do, retake the classes. Taking more/different science classes will not change the GPA's as much as retaking them will.
As much as I would really like to attend medical school, I don't want to be burdened down with retaking classes. That just means more debt for me. Also, I rather move on in life and be sure that I will be in a good program in the Fall of 2016 than be applying to medical school then. Just because I retake my pre-med courses and do better does not mean I will be admitted into medical school. I'm not willing to gamble my time and money any further on those efforts. Since I have experience with the sciences, there are other great health care fields for me to be in. My ultimate goal in life is to be a healthcare professional that helps patients. I already know if I don't get into med school, it's not the end of the world. Bad grades didn't stop George Bush from being successful in life and getting denied form medical school won't stop me from being successful in life.

As long as you won't ever regret it, then I fully support your decision.

What should I do about my MCAT score situation since I'm retaking the MCAT in August?

I know getting into medical school with my GPA is a stretch, but it's not impossible. I've already reviewed the matriculation data and there are students with my stats that are admitted to Osteopathic schools every year.

No, most things aren't impossible. There are a couple of students each year who get admitted with those stats, but I'm assuming they have life-altering stories that support why they deserve a chance. Maybe you have one of these stories too, I don't know.

For the record, I hope to be one of these few students who get accepted too when I apply. If I get accepted, it will be the greatest underdog story in the history of medical school applications. Feel free to PM me for more info on my starting stats and background.

Also, I am very serious about my applications to medical school. That's why I consult with my advisors, seek advice on forums, and do the best I can overall.

Everyone who has answered your original question has told you the same thing. We're not trying to rain on your parade.

The time and money that it would take to retake some of my pre-reqs would be more than my application fees and efforts combined.

This is probably true. However, the return on investment for retaking your classes would likely be an acceptance, versus zero return on your investment applying now.

As much as I would really like to attend medical school, I don't want to be burdened down with retaking classes.

If you think retaking a few undergraduate science courses is a burden...what do you think medical school will be like?

Just because I retake my pre-med courses and do better does not mean I will be admitted into medical school.

Yes, it likely does, because at that point your will have an acceptable sGPA.

I already know if I don't get into med school, it's not the end of the world.

If this is your feeling, then nothing we say can alter your decision to apply. Again, we're not here to be rude or ruin your hopes and dreams. Everyone on this board is in the same boat and we give each other straight forward information when they ask.

Last edited:
Plug your grades into this: http://gpacalculator.net/college-gpa-calculator/
And try changing a few C/D/F's to As. Then compare the # of courses needed to get above a 3.0sGPA and see if you're willing to do it. It may be you just need 3 or 4 classes. I don't know about you but retaking 4 C's brought my GPA from a 3.2/3.3ish to 3.5s

Applying now would be extremely unwise. Your overall GPA is pretty weak and your science GPA will sink you. You don't currently have the numbers to show an admissions committee that you are likely to be successful in medical school. If you are serious about medical school, do the GPA repair, do well on your MCAT retake then apply next year. If you apply now with a lousy application, if you don't get accepted, then you will be a re-applicant for the following cycle which will make it even harder to get in. Apply once, with the best application possible.

@Goro is user3 still around? I don't think he's on here anymore. I was browsing a thread yesterday and everyone was joking about missing him.

You can apply, but if you are truly serious about medicine you would retake those classes. If you're not URM there will not be any interviews offered with that GPA.
I was an idiot and applied last cycle with a 3.1 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA, and 22 MCAT. I have amazing EC's and I'm an URM. 26 schools and no interviews. Just a lot of wasted money and time. I feel very regretful about my decision to apply with such low numbers. Perhaps a 90 percentile MCAT score will get the OP in. Just thought I would share my experience.

The OP should consider...applying to several schools WITH secondary fees you're likely to spend a couple thousand. If you don't get in then you would have lost all that money and could've retaken some courses.

I was an idiot and applied last cycle with a 3.1 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA, and 22 MCAT. I have amazing EC's and I'm an URM. 26 schools and no interviews. Just a lot of wasted money and time. I feel very regretful about my decision to apply with such low numbers. Perhaps a 90 percentile MCAT score will get the OP in. Just thought I would share my experience.

Are you applying this cycle? Have you improved your app?

Are you applying this cycle? Have you improved your app?
I wish I could apply again this cycle. I'm starting a year long GPA / MCAT repair. I'll be starting a SMP in August. I'm 30 years old so I want to get this done ASAP, but I also know it will take some time to really make myself the best applicant I can be.

I wish I could apply again this cycle. I'm starting a year long GPA / MCAT repair. I'll be starting a SMP in August. I'm 30 years old so I want to get this done ASAP, but I also know it will take some time to really make myself the best applicant I can be.
Why don't you just become a nurse practitioner instead? It will be better than wasting money on a SMP. If you go the accelerated BSN route, at least you can work a few years as an RN and then go back to school to become a NP.

Why don't you just become a nurse practitioner instead? It will be better than wasting money on a SMP. If you go the accelerated BSN route, at least you can work a few years as an RN and then go back to school to become a NP.
A SMP is not a waste of money. It will be a boost to my chances of getting into medical school. There are allopathic medical schools that solely use your graduate GPA (not uGPA) when making an admissions decision if you have at least 30 graduate credits in the biological sciences.

If you don't lift up your GPA as everyone here has mentioned, there is high chance you'll be in the same boat.

You said you have a plan B and C, which is great. However if your plan A is to be a doctor and that is REALLY what you want, you should maximize your chance at it by improving your application. Currently your plan A doesn't really exist, it's just hand motions that won't amount to anything but a diminished bank account.

You should SERIOUSLY consider Goro's advice. Goro is an adcom. If an adcom is telling you you need to raise your GPA and then apply, then that is advice you should seriously consider.

A SMP is not a waste of money. It will be a boost to my chances of getting into medical school. There are allopathic medical schools that solely use your graduate GPA (not uGPA) when making an admissions decision if you have at least 30 graduate credits in the biological sciences.

I agree...but you have to do really well in SMP to be able to convince them. Make sure you work hard! Your SMP will have to be significantly higher than your uGPA.

I agree...but you have to do really well in SMP to be able to convince them. Make sure you work hard! Your SMP will have to be significantly higher than your uGPA.
Most definitely. I was told by medical school Adcoms that I need to get at least a 3.6 overall. I suffered from chronic neck and back pain due to osteoarthritis and a nerve sheath tumor on a cervical nerve. I didn't mention this on my PS last year but I have recently gotten medical procedures done that have significantly reduced my pain. I'm ready to give it all I got. I consider this my last chance.

You say that you don't want to waste money on retaking classes, but chances are you are going to waste a lot of money on applications this year and end up having to retake those classes anyway. Retaking C/D/F science courses will be to your benefit. You don't have to take our advice, and, yes, there are outliers who have gotten in with your stats, but they are the exception and not the rule.