GPA slipped during senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigasianpianist

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if im still applicable to several dentals schools because of my gpa now. Back during sophomore year i had a 3.7 but coming out of college now, I have a 3.3-3.4. The reason why im worried is because of the huge gpa drop from second year to my fourth year because i decided joined a frat to enjoy the college experience and the life experience that i lacked before coming to college. is it possible to still make up for that huge drop in gpa with a stellar DAT score?? Thanks for spending the time to read this! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should be fine. You just might have to explain it during the interview. A 3.3-3.4 is still average, so if you do well on the DAT you should be okay. I'm not sure how bad adcoms look at a downward trend. Maybe someone who has a similar experience can give us more light on the issue. But best of luck though and study hard!

They aren't going to like that big drop in GPA and it might come up in interviews so be prepared to answer it.

Members don't see this ad :)
mmm, would it be better i said it was because i loosened up too much and it was only until after graduation that i buckled down once again? because i feel that the experiences that i got from the two years AFTER sophomore year when i was in my frat was when i grew up and matured the fastest.....unfortunately at the expense of my GPA :[

and thanks for the quick reply!
:D

haha which fraternity did you join?

youll be fine, I was kind of in a similar situation, but i picked up the slack.

That drop in GPA is quite significant. You have to be getting something like 2.7, 2.8 rest of the way to bring it down that much.

Anyways, like WiredNerv has mentioned, be ready to discuss it during your interviews because it will come up.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if im still applicable to several dentals schools because of my gpa now. Back during sophomore year i had a 3.7 but coming out of college now, I have a 3.3-3.4. The reason why im worried is because of the huge gpa drop from second year to my fourth year because i decided joined a frat to enjoy the college experience and the life experience that i lacked before coming to college. is it possible to still make up for that huge drop in gpa with a stellar DAT score?? Thanks for spending the time to read this! :)
Yes! Do well on your DAT. They will ask you about the GPA drop. Be honest. Tell them you went out too much, enjoyed the frats and the gpa dropped. Be honest and straight forward. If your DAT is good, it will back you up. If you're trying to make up a story, they'll know!

Either take some more classes that you do very well in, or get a really good job and put in a lot of hours to maybe show your maturity and that you aren't "partying too much" anymore, and make sure to have lots of dental experience!

Good luck!

as of now, im working part-time and in addition also studying for the dats, and as for after the DATs, i plan on taking extra courses like microbio and anatomy and lab. so if i do well, that would verify my seriousness right??

and as for the explanation the truth is best, right? i wouldn't feel right telling lies about that anyway, it'd be slandering my reputation as it is on first impression with the interviewers...

cool beans on the feedback everyone! it is greatly appreciated and receipted by me

Two thumbs up!
:thumbup::thumbup: