GPA standpoint after 2nd year Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbmed2026

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
With finishing up my sophomore year, I have a 3.1cGPA and 2.9sGPA. I am feeling pretty discouraged, as I was hoping to apply next cycle for the fall of 2022. What do you guys have in terms of advice to try and bump up by GPA as much as possible within the next two semesters? I am definitely considering taking a gap year/postbacc, but beyond that do you guys have any advice for what I can do within the next two semesters to maybe salvage myself from going down that route? Those programs seem very costly, so that is another aspect that I really have to keep in mind.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
To bump up your GPA, you should find out how you learn best. For me, it was all about reading, understanding, and re-reading the textbook and doing the problems for each chapter. Sometimes the professor and the powerpoints are not enough to understand. You can also sometimes ask the professor in office hours which concepts to focus on for the exam. Also, you could drop some extracurriculars and focus on grades. A visit to a tutor or your school's learning center may help. Also, find the easier grading professors by asking around or ratemyprofessor. Don't take notoriously difficult classes just to look good on the application. It may take many semesters of 4.0, but the journey of medicine is a marathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: 1 users
TBH, it will likely take the next two years to rehab your GPA to a 3.5 ish level. One year of strong academic performance won’t have raise your gpa beyond a 3.3 and likely is not enough to demonstrate to an admissions committee you can handle the rigors of medical school. I wouldn’t plan on a postbac at this point, but a gap year could be beneficial to round out your experiences if your ECs aren’t ready yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get the idea of applying next June out of your mind. It’s not going to happen. You should probably plan to apply after you graduate so all of your grades are included in your GPAs.
The first thing to do is go to the learning resource center at your college and find out why you are doing so poorly. They probably will be able to help you find a way to study more effectively. Forget about ECs for now because you need to focus solely on your grades. You need to try to get all As from here on out. After you start doing well in your classes you can do some ECs. You have a very long road ahead of you with grade repair, ECs and of course the MCAT. As someone has already said - this is a marathon not a sprint. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
@asmallpremed @GreenDuck12 @candbgirl

Thank you all so much.
I definitely agree with that I have to stop my ECs for now, and try to reel in on my weakness points in studying habits. The only thing I can't stop doing is my work-study, as I need it to fulfill my financial aid package for school. I really think that takes up a lot of my time, as I work 10 hours a week. My ECs are pretty good so far, but I'd definitely say some things got postponed due to COVID.