1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

GPA/Stats for Columbia Dent

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by doctorsahibji, Dec 27, 2000.

1. doctorsahibji

doctorsahibji Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone has the current stats on the entering class for Columbia Dent. I am looking for the latest information/or anything that is related. Thanks in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SmiLeee

SmiLeee New Member

The Stats that I found in the AADS (American Association of Dental Schools)for Columbias entering class of 1999-2000 are:

DAT Avererage: Acad=21 PAT=18
    GPA Average: Overall=3.32 and Science.=3.32

Hope this helps!

4. doctorsahibji

Wow, thanks Smileee. What a coincidence, my gpa is exactly 3.32!!!! They have pretty good DAT scores though. Any good books you know of for the DAT??

5. SmiLeee

SmiLeee New Member

Well, I'm about 1yr away from taking the DAT, my friend who is applying for Fall used Top Score Pro for the DAT CD-ROM which helped her improve her original scores by a couple of points, and as everyone knows one or two points can make a HUGE difference. I've ordered Top Score since it's supposed to be just like the computerized test format. According to my friend it gives you a really good preview to the the real thing as well as giving you reports at the end to help show you where you need to do extra studying. The only downside if any is that it's only good for 4 or 6 months then it expires and you have to pay extra to extend its use. I ordered it not too long ago (still waiting for it) the cost is approx. $45.00
    The website where you could read about it is: www.scholarware.com
    If you find a good book let me know.

6. doctorsahibji

HI,

I'm also a year away from taking the DAT. I'm going to get done with O Chem and Biology this year and then I'm going to study for a good 3-6 months. Unfortunately, I haven't been that successful in finding books for the DAT. I looked practically everywhere. I heard about the scholarwares program and that is probably the best thing on the market. Also, the other books like by Kaplan, have their strengths and weaknesses. So it will be must to mix and match. Also, I have heard from other people that one can use MCAT materials to prepare for the BIO, O Chem, and Chem parts; A math prep book; and verbal builder for the verbal part; and then comes the most unique part the Perceptual Ability (For this I think mixing and matching will be necessary from many books.) Hopefully in six months or so something new will come out and make our lives easier.

7. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a question for the dental school savvy of this website: When a school or book publishes an "average DAT" are they reporting the academic portion or the academic score averaged with the PAT?

I had no idea SDOS' DAT was 21. Anyone know what's Harvard's? Penn's? I remember a friend at NYU telling me that their average was 18.

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

8. DrNo72

DrNo72 Junior Member

they have cd rom for dat? hmm
    when i was taking it, i went to the local book store, picked up the lamest prep book, (only one available) and studied for 2 weeks. mostly the perception test.
    i did quite alright.. if you study for mcat, which i didn't, i heard dat is a breeze.. you can study mcat to improve science portion of the dat.

9. JaneK

JaneK Member

10. makebuleeve

makebuleeve Junior Member

just want to make ur life miserable stargirl :D

11. StarGirl

StarGirl .....

thanks makebuleeve,
    just to push the knife in harder today....
    although it still doesn't say much... i still think columbia is a much better choice than "most" schools.

12. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Member