GPA too low to make a comeback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomJoe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short: I graduated early from high school in 2000, then started attending a local cc in 2002. I ran into financial problems in my 2nd semester, but it was too late to drop classes at the time and it shows on my gpa. cGPA is 2.04 right now, with 25 attempted hours. I plan on taking 10hrs this summer at the same cc and fully expect a 4.0 for the term, then transferring to a 4yr. I took a practice MCAT, verbal only, and scored an 11.

Also, for personal reasons University of Kentucky would be my ideal school, with Vanderbilt a close second.

My Q is:

For a dedicated person, would you consider it possible to recover by say spring 2013?

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short: I graduated early from high school in 2000, then started attending a local cc in 2002. I ran into financial problems in my 2nd semester, but it was too late to drop classes at the time and it shows on my gpa. cGPA is 2.04 right now, with 25 attempted hours. I plan on taking 10hrs this summer at the same cc and fully expect a 4.0 for the term, then transferring to a 4yr. I took a practice MCAT, verbal only, and scored an 11.

Also, for personal reasons University of Kentucky would be my ideal school, with Vanderbilt a close second.

My Q is:

For a dedicated person, would you consider it possible to recover by say spring 2013?
With a 4.0 and a 2.04 you can have well over a 3.0 GPA. Score high on the MCAT and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies.

If you get straight As from now until graduation (assuming 125 total credits) you will have about a 3.6 cGPA, which would be considered competitive for allopathic med schools. That should be easily doable, by June 2013 if you take summer school classes

This was about what I come up with. I couldn't decide whether a 3.6 would be competitive though, so this is a big help. Thanks!

My Q is:

It is NEVER too late to make a comeback!

In whatever you do work really hard, be kind, and have a positive attitude. When it's all said and done you may surprise even yourself in what you've accomplished.