GPA Trend and Secondaries

choti

2+ Year Member
May 10, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
    I took 5 years to graduate, but AMCAS counted my last two years both as senior. As a result, my grade trend is like this:

High school (took college level classes - 10 credits): 3.25

Freshman (30 credits): 3.70

Sophomore (30 credits): 3.25

Junior (30 credits): 3.03

Senior (2 years, 56 credits): 3.77

Overall cGPA/sGPA: 3.47/3.53
    MCAT (if relevant): 514 (129/128/129/128, retake from a 504)

Should I explain this in my "anything else" secondaries? I don't want to unnecessarily draw attention to my abysmal junior year. My father was diagnosed with a chronic illness in the spring semester of my sophomore year. None of his medications worked, and it was pretty stressful on top of trying to finish an engineering degree and a biochemistry degree in four years. I ended up taking 5 years, and my last two years have really strong grades. If it helps, I have really strong grades in upper level biochemistry courses that I took for my second major. I have a BC in OChem, a C in biochem, and two Cs in engineering classes. I would really appreciate some insight on this! Thanks.

choti

2+ Year Member
    May 10, 2018
    1. Pre-Medical
      Explain the bad junior year if given the opportunity
      Great, thank you for the advice. Can I discuss anxiety related to my dad’s health or is that a no? He had a heart attack and went pulselrss in front of me when I was 12 (my why medicine story), and I overcame a lot of anxiety and learned healthy coping habits to deal with it. His health still isn’t good, but my grades show I’ve grown. I’m just worried it’ll raise a red flag to discuss that.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.