GPA trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelkors15

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How would T20 med schools view this GPA trend (am I competitive or out of the running)? I am applying from UPenn as a CA resident with a 523 MCAT (130/132/130/131)

High School: 4.0 Cumulative (took a couple courses at a UC school in Global Health, will send transcript)
FR: 3.82 BCPM, 3.84 Cumulative
Soph (oof): 3.19 BCPM, 3.45 Cumulative
Junior: 3.67 BCPM, 3.77 Cumulative
Senior: 4.0 BCPM, 4.0 Cumulative
Post-Bacc: 4.0 BCPM, 4.0 Cumulative (took 4 upper level biology courses)

ecs?

How would T20 med schools view this GPA trend (am I competitive or out of the running)? I am applying from UPenn as a CA resident with a 523 MCAT (130/132/130/131)

High School: 4.0 Cumulative (took a couple courses at a UC school in Global Health, will send transcript)
Exactly what sort of positive affirmation are you seeking? You go to a great school and have a great MCAT, with a very decent, but not perfect, GPA. You don't have a "trend," you have a crappy sophomore year that you nicely recovered from. Of course you are competitive, but, given that people with 4.0s will be rejected from all of the T20s, nothing is guaranteed. Rest assured, however, that your stats will not be the reason you fail anywhere. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

U-shaped trends are very common. What is your cGPA? sGPA?

Exactly what sort of positive affirmation are you seeking? You go to a great school and have a great MCAT, with a very decent, but not perfect, GPA. You don't have a "trend," you have a crappy sophomore year that you nicely recovered from. Of course you are competitive, but, given that people with 4.0s will be rejected from all of the T20s, nothing is guaranteed. Rest assured, however, that your stats will not be the reason you fail anywhere. Good luck!!!
I appreciate that, I mostly am worried that my GPA would put me out of the running

I appreciate that, I mostly am worried that my GPA would put me out of the running
Nah, everyone who doesn't have a 4.0 worries for the top schools. GPA/MCAT is a first level screen, and you pass. As I said, you have a great UG and an MCAT above everyone's median. Your GPA could be better, but it's good enough. Plenty of 4.0s will be rejected, and plenty of people with GPAs lower than yours will be successful. No need to worry about a very decent stat that you can't control. Focus on what you can control -- your PS, essays, etc. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Were all looking for excellence and resilience.
That's what we're telling him - that 3.79/3.67/523 from Penn is not going to keep him out of any school, but, by itself, it's not enough.

Reactions: 3 users
Lot of CA ORMs assume they need 3.8+ GPA to be competitive for T20s. May be that's the reason OP is worried.

Lot of CA ORMs assume they need 3.8+ GPA to be competitive for T20s. May be that's the reason OP is worried.
You don't think a school like Penn has advising to set them straight, with stats to back it up? Also, isn't 3.79 close enough to 3.8 for even the most neurotic CA ORM coming from an Ivy?? By the way, while you and I do tend to keep going long after the party is over, did you notice OP withdrew the OP?? I'm pretty sure he's good now!! :)

You don't think a school like Penn has advising to set them straight, with stats to back it up? Also, isn't 3.79 close enough to 3.8 for even the most neurotic CA ORM coming from an Ivy?? By the way, while you and I do tend to keep going long after the party is over, did you notice OP withdrew the OP?? I'm pretty sure he's good now!! :)
I was focusing on sGPA :cool: I am giving company to you :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user