GPA trends and SAD (seasonal affective disorder)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChef94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other than my first year in university, my GPA shows a consistent trend of doing worse in fall (seasonal affective disorder rears its ugly head beginning in October where I live due to massive decreases in sunlight) and better in the winter, as midterms are early March and finals late April, when the weather and sunlight levels are much better. Averaging it out - my fall semesters show a 3.48 GPA while my winter semesters show a 3.60.

Would this be worth trying to explain away in my application or an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't. A difference of 0.1 is barely even a trend and it could be interpreted as an excuse, which you want to avoid.

Reactions: 2 users
No, because it will sound like an excuse. Either get your SAD fixed, or find a Plan B, because med schools still courses in the winter.

Other than my first year in university, my GPA shows a consistent trend of doing worse in fall (seasonal affective disorder rears its ugly head beginning in October where I live due to massive decreases in sunlight) and better in the winter, as midterms are early March and finals late April, when the weather and sunlight levels are much better. Averaging it out - my fall semesters show a 3.48 GPA while my winter semesters show a 3.60.

Would this be worth trying to explain away in my application or an interview?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
not a forum for med advice

but, it's always good to check with in real life health care providers with any concerns

here's a link to a thread I wrote about basic wellness.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/directions-out-of-burn-out-central.1198973/#post-17736204

I recommend Dr. Phelp's site psycheducation.org the section about light therapy for education on a fascinating topic. Geared for bipolar disorder but also a good source of mental health info.
http://psycheducation.org/treatment...-and-darkness/light-therapies-for-depression/

Reactions: 1 user
Excuses excuses. Do you want them to think you make excuses? Terrible idea.

Ok thanks everyone for the advice, definitely did not mean for it to sound like I'm making excuses, I've just seen a lot of people recently asking about mentioning mental health and their applications

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ok thanks everyone for the advice, definitely did not mean for it to sound like I'm making excuses, I've just seen a lot of people recently asking about mentioning mental health and their applications

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's been discussed in the context of challenges overcome.

Because you imply that this is still an issue for you, you definitely don't want to bring it up.