Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

GPA undergrad adjustment and Premeds in general

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by surfdevl02, Oct 11, 2002.

1. surfdevl02

surfdevl02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I know a lot of people on SDN have been inquiring about GPA adjustments in relation to the undergraduate institution they came from. I do have a definitive answer for that...well, at least for one medical school. I am a SC resident and recently interviewed at Medical University of South Carolina and the dean of admissions came out and told us during the information session that yes, they do adjust your gpa according to the institution you went to. And quite frankly, he offered to tell us exactly what the adjustments were if we wanted to ask. He says the school uses Barron's Guide to Colleges to do the adjustment. Apparently there is some scale of competitiveness in there that they use. I went to Duke University and Dean Underwood told me that they added .45 to our overall gpa when they screen and evaluate applicatioins from my school. I have no idea what factor they give for other schools...

I have been reading all of you guys/gals post for several weeks and just wanted to state some observations. Personally, i don't think it matters where you went to school. That's what the MCAT is for (although i hate standardized testing and didn't do so hot...). It normalizes all of us cause in this sense we're all going through the same experience. I think far more important is how you take advantage of the opportunities around you. It probably is true that at some "tier-1" schools you may have more opportunities but personally i think if you're a person with iniative and drive, you can succeed anywhere, under any circumstance, and around any type of people. Isn't that what medicine is about anyways...the constant adjustments and adaptability that we'll have to make for the rest of our lives. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar from harvard with a 42 MCAT and 3.9 gpa to make a great physician....it takes dedication, committment and a true passion for what you do. I think as premeds we get too caught up in numbers, staying on top of the game, and our anxieties take over our lives. So i guess what i'm saying is don't worry about where other people went to school and the numbers they have cause it'll only stress you out.. Maximize what you have to work with and move forward.

As Oct. 15th approaches i just wanted to say good luck to everyone and hope all turns out well in the end. For those of us still waiting, remember the admissions process doesn't end till next fall and plenty of people will be getting in in Jan, Feb, March, etc...

Your Blue Devil,
    AOL SN: dukeblue02;)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

what a joke, if what ur sayin is true and they ad .45 to duke students. ha u konw how many Bs you could get instead of As for . 34 points, if that is true that sucks and i wish i would have gone to duke or some school like that. This whole process is a joke, if i ever get in i am gonna really try to change this process somehow

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

nice post. i can't believe they add .45 for duke! whoa. that's quite a sizeable number.

anyway, i agree with you for the most part. it does not much matter where you go as long as you do well and take advantage of opportunities that come your way or make opportunities for yourself.

for those of us applying now, there is really no point worrying about our numbers and what school we went to! but i do think it's naive of people to think that what school you went to doesn't matter at all. for a great applicant it probably won't matter much at all, but for a borderline applicant school may play a significant role in getting in.

5. surfdevl02

surfdevl02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey Lola...i just saw you're in San Fran? I'm from SC but i'm also in San Fran now doing AmeriCorps out here...i'm in Ocean Beach if you know where that is...

Take care

6. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

hey surfdevl02,
    i'm at laurel heights on this brisk but sunny friday afternoon!

7. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's raining and chilly and DAMP this sad Friday afternoon in D.C. :( :p

8. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member
    10+ Year Member

Schools in the south will give mad props to duke and vanderbilt. Too bad I'm in the north, and not as many people realize teh competitiveness of vandy up here ...

Gumshoe