Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

GPA w/o +/-... Makes no sense?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by cleanup, Jul 30, 2011.

1. BobLoblawDDS

BobLoblawDDS Lost and confused
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It's my understanding that AADSAS calculates one GPA where an A+ is a 4.33, an A- is a 3.667, a B+ is a 3.33, etc.

However, the GPA where there's no +/- (so A-, A and A+ are all 4 and B-, B and B+ are all 3) makes absolutely no sense to me.

In fact, if your Non +/- GPA is LOWER than your regular AADSAS GPA, doesn't that essentially mean you received more B+s and A+s than A-s and B-s? Does it not essentially mean that you received BETTER grades than someone with a similar GPA whose +/- GPA was no different than their regular AADSAS GPA? (ie. they had a balance of +s and -s while you had more +s than -s). And if your Non +/- GPA is higher, it means that you got a lot of A-s and B-s, as opposed to someone who had a lot of A+s and B+s whose GPA drops. How is this measure informative in a logical way?

Please someone explain it to me! :) I must be missing something.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tvndental

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The A+/A- system benefits people who can get the plus. (Get that extra .33)

The A/B system benefits people who get minuses. (Round up)

4. yangwang

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

getting a little too analytical there my fellow UofTer, schools look at both the w/ +/- and w/o +/-

Don't worry too much, you will do well in the admission cycle, your profile is really stacked, must have worked hard the last 4 years. Which level of Millenium Award did you win? that one is a lot of money :p

PS: don't include your medical shadowing in your dental app

5. BobLoblawDDS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Well my AADSAS GPA is high but without the +/- each category drops about 0.08 which is sort of significant.

Also, I never shadowed a doctor. GD = General Dentist. Or do you mean when I volunteered at TGH? I don't see what's wrong with that! I devoted 2 years of my life to it, not necessarily because I wanted to go to medical school, but rather to productively use my time. For example, I did a research credit and worked at a social psychology lab, but I don't hold a psych degree nor am I pursuing grad school. I liked to dip my toe into different waters and meet different sorts of people.

And I received the top Millennium award - a little over $10000 If I recall correctly.

Glad to see another U of T student on here. :)

6. BobLoblawDDS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Wait, the way you worded it sounds odd. Do you mean that an A- in AADSAS (3.667) is rounded down to a 3 / B, not up to a 4 / A? Because that's absurd. @[email protected]

7. a2ndragoon89

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    no, an A- would be considered an A in the no plus or minus group

8. BobLoblawDDS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Whew. Thank goodness.