SirGecko

Go Navy
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I did a search on this and couldn't find anything. I was recently informed by the University of New Mexico admissions people that they have just recently started weighting gpa's by year when they calculate them. So Junior and Senior year counts more than freshman and sophomore year. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of other schools doing this. I think most schools do look at Junior year grades more than freshman and sophomore but I hadn't heard of anyone actually putting it into GPA calculation.

Thoughts? Other schools that do this?

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
So I did a search on this and couldn't find anything. I was recently informed by the University of New Mexico admissions people that they have just recently started weighting gpa's by year when they calculate them. So Junior and Senior year counts more than freshman and sophomore year. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of other schools doing this. I think most schools do look at Junior year grades more than freshman and sophomore but I hadn't heard of anyone actually putting it into GPA calculation.

Thoughts? Other schools that do this?
Interesting...I havent heard this, But I guess for some ppl it would make sense...but what about the ppl that took all their prereqs frosh and Sophomore year???

dArroway

Gettin' my hood on
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
look at the life on this planet sir, no sign of it
Status
Pre-Medical
lol. I bet they just look at your entire GPA and if it meets a cetain cutoff they will make considerations if it has improved with time... I am not sure if schools have a strict formula for dealing with this type of isse (except maybe UNM lulz).

redlight

Senior Member :D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
yea i've definitely heard of this. your gpa after each year is weighted accordingly to account for a positive upward trend. im not sure which schools actually enforce this policy of evaluating academic performance, though. i'll look it up! lol.. ive nothing better to do atm

Schemp

drawing infinity
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Seattle
Status
Pre-Medical
I know that University of Washington SOM takes your freshman GPA x1, sophomore GPA x2, and junior GPA x3, adds them all up, and divides by 6 for a weighted GPA. Senior year doesn't really matter usually since they only have up to junior year for most applicants.

disorder

isrdero
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I know that University of Washington SOM takes your freshman GPA x1, sophomore GPA x2, and junior GPA x3, adds them all up, and divides by 6 for a weighted GPA. Senior year doesn't really matter usually since they only have up to junior year for most applicants.

so, then, what about applicants who apply after they graduate?

if you can't tell, i'm one of those :p. plus, UW is definitely a favored choice for me despite the slim chance i'll get in since I am OOS.