GPA with quality points vs GPA without quality points

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tussiN1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do dental schools even consider GPA without quality points? I actually have a 3.6 GPA with quality points and 3.3 GPA without quality points, so there is a pretty steep difference.

Anyone with insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Do dental schools even consider GPA without quality points? I actually have a 3.6 GPA with quality points and 3.3 GPA without quality points, so there is a pretty steep difference.

Anyone with insight?

What are quality points?

Reactions: 1 users
I've never heard of a GPA being calculated without quality points. Isn't that basically the definition of GPA?

I may be totally incorrect, as I've never heard them called "quality points," but isn't that basically weighing each class based on the number of credits? ex. a 5 credit class holds more "weight" than a 2 credit class.

Please correct me if I'm wrong; we may be talking about totally different things!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quality point is basically taking into account +\-, right?

And I have no idea which GPA dental schools prefer, but my guess is both are weighed equally.

I've heard of quality points but never bothered asking what they are. How do I calculate them?

You get two separate GPA calculations once your grades are verified by AADSAS.

GPA with quality points, i.e., all "+" and "-" are considered.
GPA w/o quality points, i.e., "+" and "-" are NOT considered. If you have an A-, this category will convert that grade into an A. Similarly, a B+ is converted into a B only in this category.

I was always told there would be a science GPA, non-science GPA and BCP GPA, but this extra category is confusing.

Any thoughts if this GPA w/o quality points category is important as the others mentioned?

Thats not what quality points mean. Quality points differentiate a 4.0 1 credit class from a 4.0 4 credit class. The class that is worth 4 credits will have more quality points than the 1 credit class.

What you are referring to is the +/- system that has been in used for quite some time. Some schools have A+s and some schools don't, this gives and approximate gpa to even out the playing field, for example a student with a 4.17 GPA would have a gpa that is less than 4.0 (provided he isn't a 4.0 student but has 4.33 A+'s to boost his gpa) to give a better idea of his academic prowess.

which one is more important? do they use both for screening GPA purposes?

Whichever one that is lower they use that for admissions.

which schools use the lower GPA? all or some?

I heard some do this but this could be rumors. anyone else hear anything or thoughts?

a couple of students from NYU and Bu said that the GPA with the + and - factored in is much more important. is it like that for other dental schools?

and both GPAs are important. not one is more important than another from what i heard

My GPA was a 3.4 but AADSAS calculated it to be 2.75. I've tried to contact them and will only get a copy and paste reply to the GPA information link. I did not re-take any classes or attended another university. I'm starting to panic...what should I do?