GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious dummy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been reading some messages and the gpa's i see posted are so damn high! alot of them are above 3.5, some were around 3.7! some fierce competition going on in medicine. my high school gpa was only 2.5. and i'll be attending a community college for awhile. is it that hard to get into med schools? i wonder what the avg gpa of all accepted students is. does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

Average GPA for accepted applicants in recent years has been around 3.5.

Hey curious dummy. You are wise to investigate so early in your career. If I may, I'd like to put my 2 cents in.

The best way to find out if you would like being a doctor is to get some sort of direct patient care job at a hospital. Volunteering and/or a job that does not involve direct patient care will NOT give you a good idea. You may also want to shadow different physicians.

In terms of GPA, yes to be competitive you will need to have solid grades! The higher, the better. And yes, medical school is very difficult to get into. Given this, you can do it if you want it!

To be honest, making solid grades in college is not that difficult. All it takes is dedication and discipline. In fact a career in medicine requires the same two elements.

Someone once told me that being a physician is not a job, it is a lifestyle. This means that you will have to work very hard for a very long time to become a doctor. Then you will have to work long hours, sacrifice a lot of social life, and put medicine first (for some even above their families). If you are ready to embrace such a lifestyle then you will succeed. If you want a 9-5 job and weekends off with your buddies, then you may want to look into another profession.

My advice to you is to keep investigating. Who knows you may fall in love with it, it may be your calling. Whatever you do, do your very best in college. Whether you choose medicine or another field, good grades will be of an immense asset to you. There have been many times when I wish I could go back knowing what I know now. Here is your chance.

Good luck

Me!