Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbangg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my GPA is about 3.2 and i'm now senior..
now i want to stay in school longer so i can take more classes
or repeated class while i have my financial aid

should i go for double major? would that help me?

what might be my chance with this GPA haven't taken mcat yet...

Members don't see this ad.

A double major, or adding a minor, won't be significant to adcoms, but it is a good ploy to stay in school longer and still qualify for financial aid and health insurance.

Your chances at MD with a cGPA of 3.2 are poor in the absence of an extremely strong MCAT score and a string of As with a steep recent upward grade trend before you apply. If you don't have superb skill in taking standardized tests, I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with DO med schools which have a grade forgiveness policy if you repeat coursework you did poorly in the first time.

For example, a 3.2/32 MCAT gives you about a 30% chance of an MD acceptance. A 35 gives you a 42% chance.

with the double major and take repeated courses to raise GPA would look bad to the admin. ?
should I just go for post bac in this case?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Whether you take more classes and delay graduation, or go ahead and graduate and then take postbac classes, doesn't matter, as all the grades will be included in your composite undergrad GPA for med school application purposes (except where the DO application service permits retakes to substitute for an original grade).

Retakes, BTW, need not be taken at the same school. Nor does the course title need to be identical so long as the course content is demonstrably similar. But the credit hours earned must be the same or greater.

Whether your school administration permits retakes or not depends on school policy.

so i should just retakes the ones in another institute right?
i'm thinking about retaking the pre req. classes that I got C on
i have one C in organic 2...