GPR 2018 at VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmk56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks:

In D3 and planning to do a GPR at a good place in 2018. Considering VA at Baltimore and Philly.

How competitive and how good are they?

Members don't see this ad.

I looked into VA GPR's, and I know they are "extremely coveted." However, what I saw was incredibly disappointing. Despite getting essentially free dental care, you would think the cases would be very interesting because the patients are not restricted by budget when it comes to treatment options. From what I saw, there were no patients! It was so incredibly slow. First off, it is very difficult for a veteran to receive dental coverage; it is very different from medical. It's the government that pays, so they are responsible for how many can be scheduled.
I have visited some other hospital based programs and they were much busier. I would even call them hectic. But although that year itself would be rough, you likely come out more experienced and more prepared, versus having a laid back year where you don't really get much out of it professionally.

These are just my observations, and someone else may have a completely different view.

I looked into VA GPR's, and I know they are "extremely coveted." However, what I saw was incredibly disappointing. Despite getting essentially free dental care, you would think the cases would be very interesting because the patients are not restricted by budget when it comes to treatment options. From what I saw, there were no patients! It was so incredibly slow. First off, it is very difficult for a veteran to receive dental coverage; it is very different from medical. It's the government that pays, so they are responsible for how many can be scheduled.
I have visited some other hospital based programs and they were much busier. I would even call them hectic. But although that year itself would be rough, you likely come out more experienced and more prepared, versus having a laid back year where you don't really get much out of it professionally.

These are just my observations, and someone else may have a completely different view.

Schmoob:

Thanks for your time