GPR/AEGD- Placing implants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sivankev

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am junior graduating in May 2017 and am really interested in doing an AEGD or GPR with a lot of exposure to placing and restoring implants. Using the search feature, there doesn't seem to be a recent thread on this. Does anyone have any recommendations where to look at? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a resident at the VA GPR in Salt Lake City and placing implants was one of the main reason I came here. We restore and place a lot of implants. Single units, implants for overdenture, etc. Thus far I've placed 50 implants and have 5 months left. If you have more questions feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 2 users
I am junior graduating in May 2017 and am really interested in doing an AEGD or GPR with a lot of exposure to placing and restoring implants. Using the search feature, there doesn't seem to be a recent thread on this. Does anyone have any recommendations where to look at? Thanks
traditionally there are VAs that do more pros and endo, any GPR with a strong OMS program allows you to do a lot of the leg work, and work ups and maybe once you show your dedication the will allow you to place, however restoring is a different story...
GPR programs that stand allow, and have consults in allow you to do your own treatment planning and reviewing of cases as if your are a true practing dentist. If you make a good case and work it up, have the patient buy in, then you are golden. You should really visit the programs in the area you are hoping need to settle in. Politics and networking are key to success..

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a lot of buzz in dental education about post grad GP residents placing implants. The consensus is not in, but there are a fair amount of PD's and DS faculty who are against it. First, It is unlikely after one year that anyone is competent or proficient. even if all of the placed implants integrate, that is only half the picture. Those placed in May and June will not be restored by the same provider. Long term complications will never be seen or addressed. Due to the one year nature of the program, there will be limited opportunities to both graft and place implants.
GP's are typically not taught sedation, an important tool in any large surgery.
GP's are not capable of dealing with a sinus lift "gone bad", and I am talking about a major complication.

What a GP resident should try to get out of a residency program when talking about implants:
Case selection criteria
evaluation of residual bone
use of socket preservation
ability to evaluate cone beam imaging
use of simulation programs and construction of surgical guides
overall comprehensive treatment plan
meaningful interdiciplinary treatment conferences
familiarity with system armementarium
impression taking techniques (traditional and digital)
prosthetic design and lab communication
delivery and follow up

This is easily a years worth of work. And then the GPR is over.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a lot of buzz in dental education about post grad GP residents placing implants. The consensus is not in, but there are a fair amount of PD's and DS faculty who are against it. First, It is unlikely after one year that anyone is competent or proficient. even if all of the placed implants integrate, that is only half the picture. Those placed in May and June will not be restored by the same provider. Long term complications will never be seen or addressed. Due to the one year nature of the program, there will be limited opportunities to both graft and place implants.
GP's are typically not taught sedation, an important tool in any large surgery.
GP's are not capable of dealing with a sinus lift "gone bad", and I am talking about a major complication.

What a GP resident should try to get out of a residency program when talking about implants:
Case selection criteria
evaluation of residual bone
use of socket preservation
ability to evaluate cone beam imaging
use of simulation programs and construction of surgical guides
overall comprehensive treatment plan
meaningful interdiciplinary treatment conferences
familiarity with system armementarium
impression taking techniques (traditional and digital)
prosthetic design and lab communication
delivery and follow up

This is easily a years worth of work. And then the GPR is over.

But a year long residency where you place implants and learn all of the above far outweighs a weekend or week long course about implants.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

But a year long residency where you place implants and learn all of the above far outweighs a weekend or week long course about implants.

I know of a few programs in the south where the aegd/GPR residents place more in their one year vs the chief residents in OMFS programs in the same school. Also the Foundry outside of Birmingham places around 80 implants per GPR resident. Give them a look

Einstein GPR is well known for placing implants but I've heard it is on the downswing. They recently couldn't find a resident who wanted to stay a 2nd year, presumably because the director is verbally abusive. Always ask the residents the pros and cons to their residency.

I agree the weekend course is insufficient, but very few GPRS will provide the 80 plus placements which were mentioned above. And as I said, the complication aspect is not being addressed. Whether you are willing to agree or not, it is fair to say that when an implant placement, or any surgery for that matter goes wrong, and I am talking about very wrong, it will be sent to the OMFS. Why not start there to begin with, and let them handle the easy and hard cases. Restoring has its own difficulties, lets stick to what we do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I am a resident at the VA GPR in Salt Lake City and placing implants was one of the main reason I came here. We restore and place a lot of implants. Single units, implants for overdenture, etc. Thus far I've placed 50 implants and have 5 months left. If you have more questions feel free to PM me.
Hi, do you know of any hands on courses on implant placement for dental students. Thank you.