GPR or AEGD? Endo hopefuls...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seungmka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask this quesion cuz according to most endo directors they dont care which one it is. however, i have never seen any endo wannabes go aegd instead GPR. why is that?

also, does quality and work load of each program matter? i mean if i had a choice between an easy going AEGD or very very intensive GPR program, which would you go for?
cuz im thinkin, yea i may know about my local aegd/gpr programs but how the heck would endo directors know how good each one really is?

i got a choice between 60+hr a week GPR program which i have to drive 2-3 hrs to commute and 40hr a week 1 hr drive AEGD.

ps. do some programs generally produce more speciality acceptance than others or is it all up to the individual's qualification???

Members don't see this ad.

The endo programs will look at what you do... and which program you went to and how good it was.

With a GPR you have 24 hr emerg coverage... swelling, periapical flareups, medically compromised, anesthesia.
In an AEGD you may do more endo and tooth restoration after endo, more dentistry.

But each program is different... You may want to ask you endodontic chair.

I am concerned about the travel time... you will have to relocate for the GPR... 3 hours is too long if you are covering for the night. Our residents have to live closer to the hospital.

endo programs mostly have to evaluate your GPR/AEGD based on the reputation of the program. remember, you apply and endo programs make their decisions before the year is half over.

koobpheej said:
endo programs mostly have to evaluate your GPR/AEGD based on the reputation of the program. remember, you apply and endo programs make their decisions before the year is half over.

its hard to know which program has a good or bad reputation. how do I figure it out?
I mean everyone's opinion will be different, right?