GPR or AEGD Recommendations with low rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j3nny002

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am a 3rd year dental student. I am getting ready to apply to GPR or AEGD. I am at the bottom of my class rank wise-- I had unfortunate circumstances...but I am ready to still learn. I am interested in top programs and I am not sure what I want to do. I am not limited to states. I prefer warm weather though. Please give me suggestions on great programs that teaches a vast majority of procedures such as placing implants, sedation, complex endo...etc. Or anything you would want me to consider when picking a program.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to good programs and if you don't get in just get a job. It's not worth wasting time on a bad PGY-1.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi
I am a 3rd year dental student. I am getting ready to apply to GPR or AEGD. I am at the bottom of my class rank wise-- I had unfortunate circumstances...but I am ready to still learn. I am interested in top programs and I am not sure what I want to do. I am not limited to states. I prefer warm weather though. Please give me suggestions on great programs that teaches a vast majority of procedures such as placing restoring implants, sedation effective and predictable local anesthesia, complex basic rotary endo...etc, operative dentistry out the wazoo, basic crown preps, simple and surgical extractions, treatment planning concepts..... Or anything you would want me to consider when picking a program.
Thanks!
fixed that for you, to try and recommend what I think you should look for in a program as a new grad....solely my opinion though :)

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
fixed that for you, to try and recommend what I think you should look for in a program as a new grad....solely my opinion though :)

Best of luck!

Hey Dr. Hurlburt, what qualities from applicants are you looking for? Is there anything on CV's that you want to compensate for the lack of grades or low class rank? Thanks!

Hey Dr. Hurlburt, what qualities from applicants are you looking for? Is there anything on CV's that you want to compensate for the lack of grades or low class rank? Thanks!
I think there are a lot of program specific characteristics, but for us as a smaller program- personality, ability to work as a team, "coachability," and self drive to learn. Grades are a factor, but not near the top of this list for us. LOR and personal statements are huge. Everyone "shadows," and goes on mission trips nowadays.....

Again, only program specific, but hope that helps.

I think there are a lot of program specific characteristics, but for us as a smaller program- personality, ability to work as a team, "coachability," and self drive to learn. Grades are a factor, but not near the top of this list for us. LOR and personal statements are huge. Everyone "shadows," and goes on mission trips nowadays.....

Again, only program specific, but hope that helps.

Truth!

I can speak for another smaller program that has accepted graduates at or near the bottom of the class. In the case of this program, each of the "bottom feeders" had life issues that helped explain why they were at the bottom. In each case, they had personalities that out shined their academic dull spots. They also had lots of history showing community involvement, good team work, and a fair amount of leadership experience.

Reactions: 1 user