specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bill1

Reaction score
I am a foreign-trained dentist enrolled in a program for international dentists. I would like to specialize but I am having a hard time deciding. I also do not want to spend too much money, that is a reason for which I would incline more towards the GPR. Most of my achievements (including research) are from other countries. I do not need a visa and I am willing to move anywhere in the USA for residency. I did not do any externships and from what I have been reading in this forum students usually apply for externships at the programs where they would like to apply for residency. I need some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your doing an advanced standing and getting a DDS? That evens the playing field for what you can achieve especially if you’ve done well, you could get into a stipend program.

Apply to only stipend programs and if you don’t get in also apply to a GPR

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to programs with reasonable tuition as well. Perio does very well financially so it won't be a huge burden to repay 250-350k as a periodontist. You have a shot to get in, apply broadly to both GPRs and perio, you can go GPR --> perio if you wanted to as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I am doing an AS program. My only concern is that I am competing against Americans for the stipend programs and they may be highly regarded compared to foreigners. So at his point in time I do not know what do to to improve my profile.
Have you done any perio research? I would get started on this ASAP.

Are you planning to apply next cycle? assuming you are a D3 equivalent right now?

in my residency, about half the people have done a GPR and then come into residency. One of the residents did a GPR year, didn't get in anywhere and then did a 2nd GPR year and matched perio.

The stipend programs are very competitive for sure.

What are you hoping to take from a GPR if you already have a strong surgical background? Depending which skills you have you could kill it as a GP already and may not even need any residency.