gpr program questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parkerbros99999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm hoping that knowledgeable posters would answer some general practice residency-related questions for my personal enlightenment and for others who are pondering the same.

1. Are stipends ( some programs call them salaries ) from gpr programs taxable? If so, generally how much of the stipend would remain after taxes?

2. How much independence are the gpr residents generally given? How often are they monitored and supervised, in comparison to students in dental school?

3. Out of several interview offers, one program wants me to be there for the entire day of the interview. In practicality, there are really not much questions to be asked at gpr interviews. So, at the program that wants me on the interview day from 8 - 5, what should I be expecting?

4. What's the likelihood of an acceptance when you've been granted an interview?

5. Do programs mail out rejection letters? If so, when do they normally send them?

6. At the places where I've gotten interviews, I was sent the invitations less than one week after they've received my applications. For all other programs, I have only received acknowledgements of my applications. Could this possibly mean that the latter programs have already rejected me? ( at least from my exp, it doesn't look like a coincidence )

7. What happens after the gpr program is over? Do programs offer job placement assistance? How do residents eventually find a job?

8. I recently subscribed to JADA and there are job ads at the back of it. It's a scant listing, maybe about 1 - 5 jobs per state. Roughly half of these jobs are offering above-average salaries and are promising state-of-the-art equipment and lavish patient procedures.

Generally speaking, are these jobs as good as the ads claim them to be? And how difficult is it to get one of these jobs after you complete a gpr? ( with no other dental work exp )

These are a lot of questions but I don't know anyone or anywhere to ask. Honest and knowledgable feedback would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes GPR stipends are taxable. It's income like any other job. How much remains after taxes depends on what state you're in and what tax bracket you're in (which would be dependant on your total income including any moonlighting income).

2. Degree of supervision/independance varies widely. Some programs want to check all of your preps - some programs don't even have an attending in the building all the time.

3. Quite a few of the GPR programs I am familiar with have all day interviews. It's the same as any other interview: tour, presentation about the program, time to talk with current residents, interviews with multiple faculty members, lunch, etc. At one GPR program a I know of the interview lasts from 7-5 and then they take everyone out to dinner.

4. Depends on how many people they interview, how many they accept, and how competitive you are.

5. Some do, some don't.

6. Possibly - or it could mean they haven't reviewed the applications yet.

7. There is ususally no help finding a job. You're on your own.

8. I've never answered an ad for a job so I don't know. In my experience the best way to find a job (as a general dentistry associate), is to contact the branch office of the dental supply companies (Sullivan-Schein, Patterson, etc) in the area you want to work and tell them you want help finding an associateship. These companies know every dentist in town and often have an employee whose full time job is to work in practice transitions. A word of advice though - you will never make any real money working for someone else. If you are still working as an assoiciate 5 years after graduation you've done something wrong. Look for job oportunities where the practice is looking for someone to sell to. Is buying a practice or opening your own scary? - of course - but at some point you've got to get over that fear and do it or else you'll never have the kind of financial success you're capable of. Part of the reason for doing a GPR is to improve your skills/speed/experience so that you'll be better when you enter private practice. An associateship can teach you how to run a business (which is an important thing) but don't spend too many years working for someone else because in the long run every year you do you are loosing money.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi
I want to ask you a couple of things and I would appreciate if some one could answer.
1) Is it easy to get licence after GPR or AGED for a foreign trained dentist. If so then whats the catch that every one goes for advance standing and how difficult it is to get into GPR.
2) What should be the minimal stats to get into such programmes.
3) What are the different ways of application to these programmes and their deadlines. I have done part I and I was wondering if I could apply now.
Regards

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I want to ask you a couple of things and I would appreciate if some one could answer.
1) Is it easy to get licence after GPR or AGED for a foreign trained dentist. If so then whats the catch that every one goes for advance standing and how difficult it is to get into GPR.
2) What should be the minimal stats to get into such programmes.
3) What are the different ways of application to these programmes and their deadlines. I have done part I and I was wondering if I could apply now.
Regards

Yeah, the catch to do a GPR is that you almost always have to be a graduate of a US or Canadian dental school in order to be considered. It is extremely rare for a foreign grad to be considered due to government funding issues. With an AEGD, there a little more room for flexibility. Why else would so many people be doing advanced training programs if it was so easy? Besides, this topic has been discussed many times on here in detail so do a search.

You can find a list of the majority of GPR & AEGD programs on www.adea.org and looking under "PASS."

I have another serious issue.

I submitted in my applications ~ 2 months ago. 1-2 days after the receipt of my applications, I had 3 out of 17 programs contact me hands-down for an interview.

To date, I heard nothing at all from the remaining 14 programs, except for a postcard telling me that they received my documents. Some blemishes prevent me from being a competitive candidate but the places I've applied to aren't well sought-after programs. I was expecting interviews from at least half of these places. I'm shocked nonetheless.

Could this already mean a rejection at the other 14 programs I've applied to?

Each program reviews applications at different times... Many have application cutoff in Nov.... and don't even look at them until then.

Our program wont start looking at applications until Monday... Then we will selection a few for interview. We do not notify the others... because they are not rejected, they are just not in the first group to be interviewed.

actually less than 5% of all general practice and AEGD residents are graduates of non-US or canadian schools, and even less than that are those who don't have american citizenship or permanent residency.. so i guess not too much hope after all, i still haven't heard from any1 yet

actually less than 5% of all general practice and AEGD residents are graduates of non-US or canadian schools, and even less than that are those who don't have american citizenship or permanent residency.. so i guess not too much hope after all, i still haven't heard from any1 yet

I lived in the US for 40+ yrs and am a US citizen. I was educated ONLY in this country and am both a US college and dental school graduate.

I would appreciate feedback towards my concerns with the PROPER assumption.

As for dentists who are not originally from the US, I can't understand why you're so desperate to come here. The market for dentists is nearing saturation. Go to a place like Austrailia or Japan, where it is already a well-known fact that dentistry is the most profitable profession.

I lived in the US for 40+ yrs and am a US citizen. I was educated ONLY in this country and am both a US college and dental school graduate.

I would appreciate feedback towards my concerns with the PROPER assumption.

As for dentists who are not originally from the US, I can't understand why you're so desperate to come here. The market for dentists is nearing saturation. Go to a place like Austrailia or Japan, where it is already a well-known fact that dentistry is the most profitable profession.

trust me my friend.. it's not my intention to take your money, i only want to get a higher education in the states.. plus im the only one in my family whose not a permanent resident in the states.. i only tried to give u some info, so much for trying to help out a stranger... so i'll gladly tell u to KMA:D

trust me my friend.. it's not my intention to take your money, i only want to get a higher education in the states.. plus im the only one in my family whose not a permanent resident in the states.. i only tried to give u some info, so much for trying to help out a stranger... so i'll gladly tell u to KMA:D

Negative assumptions like this make you sound really stupid.

I was asking about postgrad programs, and you were talking about applying without citizenship/residency status.

And my reference to Austrailia/Japan was a mere suggestion if one was to globally look for dental opportunities. Nowhere in my post did I infer anything along the lines of ' go back to where you came from.' Frankly, no one here cares what you'll choose to do.

parkerbros, no one made any assumptions about you, other than you are waaaaayyyy to wound up. relax, take a breath. it'll be ok.
now if you had read the whole thread, you would know that they were responding to another person's question, not yours.