• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

GPR requirement in NY starting in 07 - will this become more common?

BallDontLie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
NYC
  1. Pre-Dental
    I've heard that starting in 2007, if you want to be a GP in New York, you have to do a GPR. I'm wondering if this is something that will become more common in other states, particularly the northeast and midwest. What do you think? What have you heard?

The reason I ask this is that when deciding where to go to school, this issue could come up. If this GPR requirement becomes more common, I'm thinking I'm better off picking a school that is stronger in the didactics. It seems like the clinical experience a school gives you becomes...i don't want to say irrelevant, but seems less important in terms of picking a school if you have to do a GPR afterwards anyway. What I don't want to do is choose a school based primarily on the strength of their clinic, and then end up having to do a GPR because the state I want to practice in requires it. That seems like a huge waste of time. If this ends up being the case, I'd rather go to school that is strong academically.

superchris147

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jun 24, 2005
      nrlee said:
      I've heard that starting in 2007, if you want to be a GP in New York, you have to do a GPR. I'm wondering if this is something that will become more common in other states, particularly the northeast and midwest. What do you think? What have you heard?

The reason I ask this is that when deciding where to go to school, this issue could come up. If this GPR requirement becomes more common, I'm thinking I'm better off picking a school that is stronger in the didactics. It seems like the clinical experience a school gives you becomes...i don't want to say irrelevant, but seems less important in terms of picking a school if you have to do a GPR afterwards anyway. What I don't want to do is choose a school based primarily on the strength of their clinic, and then end up having to do a GPR because the state I want to practice in requires it. That seems like a huge waste of time. If this ends up being the case, I'd rather go to school that is strong academically.

its already like that (ie: have to do a 1 yr residency to be a gp in ny) unless i'm on drugs

BallDontLie

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Mar 7, 2005
      NYC
      1. Pre-Dental
        superchris147 said:
        its already like that (ie: have to do a 1 yr residency to be a gp in ny) unless i'm on drugs

Yeah I know. So far, I've only heard of this requirement being official in NY. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard if this will happen in other states in the near future.

About the Ads

Blue Tooth

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Aug 30, 2001
        Ann Arbor, MI
          Minnesota allows you to do a PGY1 in lieu of a clinical licensure exam. But, you must do this residency in the state and will be limited to which states you can get a license in the future because some states won't allow licensure by credentials if your method of initial licensure was via PGY1.

Washington and Connecticut will allow initial licensure via PGY1 but it doesn't go into effect until this or next year in each state. I also don't think these states are as restrictive as Minnesota.

California has discussed it and there's a solid chance that within a year or so the law there will change to allow for licensure via PGY1.

TKD

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Sep 23, 2005
            Blue Tooth said:
            Minnesota allows you to do a PGY1 in lieu of a clinical licensure exam. But, you must do this residency in the state and will be limited to which states you can get a license in the future because some states won't allow licensure by credentials if your method of initial licensure was via PGY1.

Washington and Connecticut will allow initial licensure via PGY1 but it doesn't go into effect until this or next year in each state. I also don't think these states are as restrictive as Minnesota.

California has discussed it and there's a solid chance that within a year or so the law there will change to allow for licensure via PGY1.

PG is the way to go. This is in line with the medical model of licensure. The only people against it are the regional exam kickback getting, paper pushing do gooders. Also better in terms of access to care for medical assistance patients, and for dentists who want to relocate to another state. And trust me, no matter how strong your school is in clinical, and no matter how great you think you are in clinic, you will learn a great deal as a PGY1. GPR will never be a waste, you build on your clinical skills, are exposed to new things, and gain a great deal of new skills, knowledge and confidence.

Blue Tooth

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Aug 30, 2001
            Ann Arbor, MI
              PGY1- post graduate year 1.

A 2nd year internal medicine resident is a PGY2, a 6th year OMFS resident is a PGY6. But with respect to dentistry and licensure, PGY1 refers to complete of a residency of at least 1 year, regardless if it's a GPR or an AEGD.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
              Removed
              15+ Year Member
              Sep 1, 2003
              Toronto, Centre of Canada
                nrlee said:
                What I don't want to do is choose a school based primarily on the strength of their clinic, and then end up having to do a GPR because the state I want to practice in requires it. That seems like a huge waste of time. If this ends up being the case, I'd rather go to school that is strong academically.

Why would it be a whole waste of time? Instead, if you went to a very clinical school and mastered many procedures you can use that mandatory one year in the GPR to try and master NEWER procedures. Then when you are done, you'll be a more competent dentist that can do way more procedures than the average grad.

In dentistry, the clinical training you can get is endless. Going to a clinical schools gives you a jumpstart.

As a dentist, the more clinical exposure you can get during your 4 years of dental school can NEVER be a negative. Any dentist on the entire planet will agree with this.

DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
                Verified Expert
                Dec 1, 2000
                Brooklyn, ct
                1. Dentist
                  Blue Tooth said:

QUOTE]

CT goes PGY1 in 2007, although with the national exam pending, the recently ammended Connecticut Dental Practice that was passed by my state legislature this past summer putting PGY1 into play may be changed in favor of the national exam. Still to be determined.

Keep an eye on CT, because there may be some really weird stuff coming up infront of the legislature, REALLY WEIRD STUFF!

Blue Tooth

7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Aug 30, 2001
                  Ann Arbor, MI
                    DrJeff said:
                    Blue Tooth said:

QUOTE]

CT goes PGY1 in 2007, although with the national exam pending, the recently ammended Connecticut Dental Practice that was passed by my state legislature this past summer putting PGY1 into play may be changed in favor of the national exam. Still to be determined.

Keep an eye on CT, because there may be some really weird stuff coming up infront of the legislature, REALLY WEIRD STUFF!

What kind of weird stuff are you referring to? I'm curious, any rumors are interesting enough to hear.

QTpieDMD

10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Jul 10, 2005
                    NJ
                      I was told by the pres. of the New Jersey Dental Association that NJ is trying to stay away from PGY1 as a requirement. They want to stay with the NERBs and then allow students to choose to do additional training. It seems to me about 1/3 - 1/2 of the students in NJ have parents or close relatives they can work with right away.

DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
                      Verified Expert
                      Dec 1, 2000
                      Brooklyn, ct
                      1. Dentist
                        Blue Tooth said:
                        DrJeff said:
                        What kind of weird stuff are you referring to? I'm curious, any rumors are interesting enough to hear.

All I can say right now is that if what's being talked about happens, and totally new class of dental provider will be introduced into the United States! :eek: :confused: :scared: :rolleyes: :D :( :mad:

More to come likely in a week or 2

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
                        10+ Year Member
                        Verified Expert
                        15+ Year Member
                        Feb 15, 2003
                        Indianapolis
                        1. Attending Physician
                        2. Dentist
                          DrJeff said:
                          Blue Tooth said:
                          All I can say right now is that if what's being talked about happens, and totally new class of dental provider will be introduced into the United States! :eek: :confused: :scared: :rolleyes: :D :( :mad:

More to come likely in a week or 2
                          I have a hunch about what you're talking about...but if it's what I'm thinking, it's something I'd heard taking root in Alaska, not the eastern seaboard.

About the Ads

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
                          Removed
                          10+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Feb 25, 2004
                            Having lived in CT for a year while doing my residency, I definitely know it's the LAST place I would want to live in. The GPR program was great but living in CT was hell. I am NEVER going back to CT regardless of what legislature changes they make. Nothing will make me go back. It doesn't suit my life style.

kerrydds06

10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Jun 29, 2004
                              aphistis said:
                              DrJeff said:
                              I have a hunch about what you're talking about...but if it's what I'm thinking, it's something I'd heard taking root in Alaska, not the eastern seaboard.

So what is this hunch???? What are you guys talking about???
                              You can't leave me hanging...

Put something out there and not say is just plain cruel.

DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
                              Verified Expert
                              Dec 1, 2000
                              Brooklyn, ct
                              1. Dentist
                                Smilemaker100 said:
                                Having lived in CT for a year while doing my residency, I definitely know it's the LAST place I would want to live in. The GPR program was great but living in CT was hell. I am NEVER going back to CT regardless of what legislature changes they make. Nothing will make me go back. It doesn't suit my life style.

Ahh, come on! ;) You were just living on the wrong side of the Ct River. The side you lived on is where all of the New York yankee fans live, and we all know that their just trouble :D :rolleyes: :eek:

Now if you had lived less than a mile to the East on the East side of the Ct River, where all the Boston Red Sox fans live, then you'd see what a great place CT really is! :D ;) :rolleyes:

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
                                Removed
                                10+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Feb 25, 2004
                                  DrJeff said:
                                  Ahh, come on! ;) You were just living on the wrong side of the Ct River. The side you lived on is where all of the New York yankee fans live, and we all know that their just trouble :D :rolleyes: :eek:

Now if you had lived less than a mile to the East on the East side of the Ct River, where all the Boston Red Sox fans live, then you'd see what a great place CT really is! :D ;) :rolleyes:

What would a single, sane, young gal like me want in a family suburbia state like CT? If I EVER decide to move in New England in the future, which is very unlikely (chances are about 0.01 %), I would move to some nice suburb in MA where I would practice (maybe like Newton) and spend my weekends in Boston where all the action is and where the hot, young, single men are. :love:

BDS-DMD

10+ Year Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  Mar 24, 2005
                                    This is what I understand:
                                    -Starting 2007,to get a license in NY state, you have to have at least a 1 year residency under your belt. If you do a 2/3/4/6 year speciality thats ok too.
                                    -In return,they exempt you from the clinical NERBS. You have to take the computerised exam.
                                    -Since 2003,they have made this as an option,wherin you can do a residency instead of the exam but its not mandatory till 2007.
                                    -That does not mean that you get licensure in other states. For NY you can do the residency anywhere as long as it is CODA approved.
                                    -I believe it has to do with NY wanting to make dental school 5 years. Since that did not go thru on a national level, they did it at the state level.

I will do it if they need me to but the ADEX exam works better since it covers so many states in one shot.

DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
                                    Verified Expert
                                    Dec 1, 2000
                                    Brooklyn, ct
                                    1. Dentist
                                      Smilemaker100 said:
                                      What would a single, sane, young gal like me want in a family suburbia state like CT? If I EVER decide to move in New England in the future, which is very unlikely (chances are about 0.01 %), I would move to some nice suburb in MA where I would practice (maybe like Newton) and spend my weekends in Boston where all the action is and where the hot, young, single men are. :love:

Ahh yes, but then you'll find your beau, settle down, get a ring on the finger and a couple of kidlets running around to go with the pets, and you'll want to be back in nice rural suburbia to raise the kids :eek: :scared: :rolleyes: :laugh: :D

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
                                      Removed
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      15+ Year Member
                                      Feb 25, 2004
                                        DrJeff said:
                                        Ahh yes, but then you'll find your beau, settle down, get a ring on the finger and a couple of kidlets running around to go with the pets, and you'll want to be back in nice rural suburbia to raise the kids :eek: :scared: :rolleyes: :laugh: :D

I can guarantee you that that won't be happening any time soon! I like the idea of just dating a person without settling down too soon. I want to travel a lot and get involved with different activities (hobbies). It will take me a few years or more before I am comfortable with that idea! :laugh:

Tzips

Chocoholic
                                        10+ Year Member
                                        5+ Year Member
                                        Nov 10, 2004
                                        Peering around the corner...
                                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                                          QTpieDMD said:
                                          I was told by the pres. of the New Jersey Dental Association that NJ is trying to stay away from PGY1 as a requirement. They want to stay with the NERBs and then allow students to choose to do additional training. It seems to me about 1/3 - 1/2 of the students in NJ have parents or close relatives they can work with right away.

Heh. No kidding. I feel positively an outsider in my class because my dad's only a PhD, not a DDS or DMD, or, as a last resort, an MD. Sigh.

About the Ads
                                          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                          7. This thread is locked.