GPR Residency GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Discovery01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a dental student now in the first year. My gpa is around 3.2. I am afraid that it may even decrease in the future given-well I hope not but it may.

I know I do not want to specialize. But I may want to do GPR residency. Are there any GPR that accept students under 3.0? Every one that I have looked at accepts only 3.0 and higher. I hope I do not go under 3.0 but if I do is there hope or should I think about other plans now.

I know it is early to think about this but I also want to be realistic about the amount of time and energy I can put into this.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do you HAVE to do a GPR? By that I mean, Do you want to practice in NY or Delaware?

If all you want to do is slide through dental school and pass all your exams, you can probably still get into a GPR, but why would you want to do that? It would probably be a crappy GPR that you would hate. You would be better off working for a dental mill like Western Dental or something like that. All they want is a warm body with a dental license, and you will make 6 figs.

Think about other plans such as what? quitting dental school? If you are thinking of doing that just because you worry about not getting into a GPR, than perhaps dentistry is not for you?? Don't worry about this now. Just concentrate on your scholastics and learning dentistry. You'll have a full 2 years to think about GPRs etc. if you have any other ?'s, feel free to send me a private message.

Hello,

I am a dental student now in the first year. My gpa is around 3.2. I am afraid that it may even decrease in the future given-well I hope not but it may.

I know I do not want to specialize. But I may want to do GPR residency. Are there any GPR that accept students under 3.0? Every one that I have looked at accepts only 3.0 and higher. I hope I do not go under 3.0 but if I do is there hope or should I think about other plans now.

I know it is early to think about this but I also want to be realistic about the amount of time and energy I can put into this.

Thanks

GPRs look for more than grades. They look at you, what you have done with your extra time, why are grades low (some of us are poor test takers)...
They are many GPRs... they are not that hard to get into. Start doing some volunteer work/externships at a near by hospital dental clinic...
if I can be of any help... let me know