1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

gpr with no skills

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by josmith2099, Feb 27, 2007.

1. josmith2099

Via postmatch, two weeks ago, I got accepted to a certain gpr program. I was flattered at first, given that this is a popular program and there were many people being interviewed for the very few unfilled spots.

I don't know what makes this program even remotely popular. But what I do realize is, there's no exposure to placing implants, IV sedation, perio surgeries, extracting impacted teeth, and other bells and whistles.

Like I said, a lot of people like this program for reasons that I can't comprehend myself. Am I missing something here?

And did I screw myself big time by signing up for this place?

Can I still go on interviews to other places and, if I find a 'better' program, sign a different contract and cancel the contract I signed earlier? ( I know you're not allowed to but I just wanted to know if you could do this )

2. InMyCrossHairs

InMyCrossHairs #1 GUNNER
    7+ Year Member

Nice question at the end, very logical thinking.

The fact that alot of people like this program for reasons you do not understand is in and of itself a terrific affirmation that it is a perfect fit for you. Sounds like you have excellent judgement and no doubt great decision making skills. I think no matter where you go you will be a phenomenal dentist.

I think the University of Utah program will be great for you.

3. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    ROFL. You beat me to it! People love that program because they get to return to Utah and live closer to their in-laws, which makes wives happy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    josmith2099

This is what happened to me. I didn't match the first time around. On match day, I called a program with unfilled seats, interviewed there, and then signed a letter saying I will go there.

If I had properly matched into a program, I wouldn't cancel because the match system is legally binding. But in this case, the letter I signed is about one paragraph long and doesn't state any terms and conditions at all; it's just a confirmation I'll be going there.

This isn't legally binding for me, is it? Can I call up the program and cancel?

5. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    It's not legally binding at all. At the minimum it isn't binding until you sign it and return it. Simply tell them you are no longer interested, if indeed you aren't. If that is the way you are leaning, you should be courteous and let them know ASAP so that they might fill the spot you will open up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OP
    OP
    josmith2099

With that said, suppose I complete a gpr for the 2007-2008 cycle; is it likely I'll get admitted to a nationally-competitive gpr for 2008-2009 since I would have completed a gpr already? Is this common?

I really want to get into one of those nationally-strong gprs but didn't match the first time around. The gpr I got into via postmatch doesn't teach the skills emphasized in good gpr programs, which is the reason I want to try out for another gpr the second time around. ( or maybe cancel the acceptance I have right now, work for a year, and then re-apply to the programs I want )

7. OP
    OP
    josmith2099

Actually, it was signed and returned.

It's just that the letter didn't look legal at all. ( maybe I'm wrong ? ) GPR contracts are usually several pages long and have terms and conditions documented. The letter I signed is like one of those college acceptance letters, the one you sign and return if you want to go to that college. It was only one paragraph long, saying that I accepted their offer.

So can I rescind this acceptance? Can they do something serious against me if I don't go? ( like I said before, the acceptance letter has nothing legal written on it, so it can't be binding, right? )

8. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    You can always rescind the acceptance, what happens as a result of that is another story. I personally would have problems with rescinding after I had committed to attending, regardless of the legal issues involved (but that is a topic of ethics and we could fill pages on that).

You may be making a large issue out of nothing. There's always the possibility that if you were to personally contact the program and let them know the situation, they wouldn't care. I think it depends on how you present the situation to them. Certainly they don't want somebody enrolling who doesn't want to be there--that's not good for you or for them. Everybody makes mistakes, and perhaps you committed to the program in haste. As I said, it's better to back out now than 3 months into the program. Certainly the director (although perhaps being disappointed at your decision) will respect that.

I'd contact the program director and let him/her know the issues you are dealing with. But of course, you can't really do that unless you are certain that you don't want to attend.

9. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    Highly unlikely, IMO.
    Sounds like that may be the decision for you. But remember, you might not match into a program you are satisfied with next year either. Then you might wish you hadn't put your career on hold for a year/turned down the original program.

10. InMyCrossHairs

InMyCrossHairs #1 GUNNER
    7+ Year Member

I dont think many people do a GPR, so they can become more competitive for another GPR. I have never heard of this.

I didnt apply for a GPR, so I dont know a ton about them, but the ones I am slightly familiar with allow some autonomy in selecting your areas of futher study. For instance, if you like endo, you can tailor the GPR to get more endo experience. Obviously, there will be some limitations, but if you are persistent, you can make it work.

Also, how do you know this program you have been accepted to and ACCEPTED the position, is not good. Trust me on this, there are plenty of open GPR positions that can give you a good education. You just need to be diligent in researching them and contacting current residents, not listening to what your classsmates say (all of whom know nothing about most GPR's), not only listening to what you hear on SDN, but find out for yourself.

Thank god I didnt solely take the advice of which OMFS programs to apply to based on what I heard from others who were clueless and what I read here. Yes, there are a FEW residencies represented on this forum, but a small minority, and places I had never heard of were great programs and would have been a great fit for me.

Bottom line, find out for yourself. While one program may be good for you, it may not be good for another.

11. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    What you've said is the root of the problem. He didn't match, so he took a spot at a program with spots (which probably means he didn't interview there and was going in relatively blind).