Gpr ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentcraze

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im just wondering if anyone out there is feeling like I am. I was told i would do certian things like implants etc, etc. I find that most of my time is spent just doing dentures. I get to do a fair amount of endo and extractions. Really i just feel like im in a 5th year of dental school. the rotations in the hospital im barely even acknowledged. Are there people out there who are having good experiences in there GPRs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be the first to ask: Would you mind sharing which GPR you're in?

i am a d4 and i am doing an externship in hospital based gpr and my feelings are the same. during the rotations the MDs dont give a sh*it about us. absolute waste of time. they lure you in with the promise of implants and you get thrown at cra*p load of dentures. if its that bad i would just quit and go to private practice if you have a license. they cant do anything to you.

Hi,

Im just wondering if anyone out there is feeling like I am. I was told i would do certian things like implants etc, etc. I find that most of my time is spent just doing dentures. I get to do a fair amount of endo and extractions. Really i just feel like im in a 5th year of dental school. the rotations in the hospital im barely even acknowledged. Are there people out there who are having good experiences in there GPRs?

I'm having a great experience in my GPR at Palmetto Health in Columbia, SC. We only have two rotations -- anesthesia and emergency medicine. They were good and I was treated very well, but I'm glad to be through with them. I had all my rotations right up front, so I've been somewhat removed from dentistry and I'm just getting started with some bigger cases.

It's funny you mention dentures...I haven't even done a set here! In fact, the first removable case that I started will be implant supported. Along those lines, my program director makes it very clear that our clinic is not a free clinic or a clinic to treat the under served. We have our various outreach efforts to address that. The majority of our patients are employees of the hospital system, so it's a good mix of dentistry -- not just tons of extractions and removable.

I'm not at all saying you did not do your due diligence in researching your program. The take home message, I think, is that programs are VASTLY different from each other. You must really investigate whether or not the program is for you. Sometimes, unfortunately, the program does not turn out to be what you expected. My best advice (even if it is unsolicited) would be to do everything YOU can do to make it more than just a fifth year of school. My guess is that when all is said and done, you'll have gained more than you may have realized.