GPRs with heavy oral surgery focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkl6158

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year student starting to look into residency programs. I've been debating between general practice and OMFS for a long time, but I think I've decided to stick with general, in part because of the lengthy residency in OMFS and being burnt out at this point along with wanting to form relationships with my patients... not just see them once or twice.

Despite this, I still love oral surgery and want as much experience in it as I can get so I'd like a program that has a heavy focus on it. At the same time, since I do plan to pursue general, I think it's important to get a well-rounded experience at a GPR so I can be fast and competent when I finish, in all areas. I hear about GPRs based in trauma centers and how the residents get to work on all sorts of crazy stuff... this sounds awesome to me, yet at the same time I don't know if it's worth it being this won't be applicable to general practice. I also hear VAs are great programs, but I have a feeling they won't give me the OS experience I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend any residencies that would appeal to these specifications? I'm in the top 5 of my class and got a 94 on Part I, so I don't expect grades to be an issue during the application process. I'm not really sure where I want to be yet, but I know for sure I'm not interested in NYC.

Members don't see this ad.

UVA's GPR (Charlottesville, VA) is known to have a good oral surgery component. We do tons of routine extractions, third molars, pre-prosth sx, OR, IV sedation, infection, dentoalveolar trauma, head/neck cancer, implants, etc. Aside from the surgery, you also get a great scope in all aspects of general dentistry (microscope endo, perio sx, C&B, some ortho, restorative). I'm finishing up my 1st year and have enjoyed it thus far.

I was also contemplating between GP and OMFS in dental school, so I chose a program that gave me a good scope of both to buy me more time to decide. After a year, OMFS still seems very tempting, lol. Check out the document I attached...our program director does a great job summarizing the program.

Any questions, PM me. Good luck!

Attachments

• General Practice Residency.docx
    190.8 KB · Views: 341
I'm a third year student starting to look into residency programs. I've been debating between general practice and OMFS for a long time, but I think I've decided to stick with general, in part because of the lengthy residency in OMFS and being burnt out at this point along with wanting to form relationships with my patients... not just see them once or twice.

Despite this, I still love oral surgery and want as much experience in it as I can get so I'd like a program that has a heavy focus on it. At the same time, since I do plan to pursue general, I think it's important to get a well-rounded experience at a GPR so I can be fast and competent when I finish, in all areas. I hear about GPRs based in trauma centers and how the residents get to work on all sorts of crazy stuff... this sounds awesome to me, yet at the same time I don't know if it's worth it being this won't be applicable to general practice. I also hear VAs are great programs, but I have a feeling they won't give me the OS experience I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend any residencies that would appeal to these specifications? I'm in the top 5 of my class and got a 94 on Part I, so I don't expect grades to be an issue during the application process. I'm not really sure where I want to be yet, but I know for sure I'm not interested in NYC.

University of New Mexico has a hybrid AEGD/GPR program that is heavy in oral surgery... everything from implants to impacted 3rds. Lot's of surgical extractions...

One of my co-residents came out of Denver Health, she says that she got great oral surgery exposure as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Newark Beth Israel (Newark NJ) is getting a PGY-2 program set up this year. I think they are looking to start it up in July. It's going to be heavy on OMFS (impactions, open/closed reductions, etc). I'm not sure the PGY-2 will even do anything else besides surgery related procedures though I may be wrong.

The PGY-1 program is very strong in almost every area (we don't place implants, though maybe PGY-2 would).

I still love oral surgery and want as much experience in it as I can get..... I'm in the top 5 of my class and got a 94 on Part I

Listen to yourself, it sounds like what you really want to do is OMFS. Go for it, with those stats you'd be giving up a big opportunity. don't let a little hard work get in the way of doing what you want to do. You will be working hard starting out as a GP anyway.

Listen to yourself, it sounds like what you really want to do is OMFS. Go for it, with those stats you'd be giving up a big opportunity. don't let a little hard work get in the way of doing what you want to do. You will be working hard starting out as a GP anyway.

I would agree...If you're leaning towards OMFS, definitely go for it.

I was in your shoes a year ago and wasnt sure that I wanted OMFS. My philosophy was that if I wasnt 100% sure thats what I wanted, I wouldnt commit to a 4 year residency. Doing a 2 year GPR will give you some insight into doing IV sedation/3rds, basic oral surgery, and working in a hospital setting. If after the 1st year, you love doing surgery more than everything else, then you can always do OMFS after your GPR. With your stats, you can definitely match in a OMFS program or a really good GPR. UVA accepts high caliber students like yourself so its worth looking into. It wouldnt hurt you if you do more training in general dentistry (unless omfs programs like you fresh out of dental school).

Shadow some private practice omfs guys and analyze what they do on a daily basis.

Good luck!

Haha, yeah I think there will always be this itch, especially knowing I have the potential to get in. What worries me is dental school has made me miserable. I'm scared by doing OMFS I might just be setting myself up for another 4-6 years of misery :(

Do some externships, talk to residents, spend time at your school's OS clinic, and shadow private practice guys. The more experience you get the more you will know about the specialty and the training involved. This will help you make the right choice. You don't have to do a GPR to figure this out. Being a dental student offers plenty of opportunities to gain this experience, so you can make an informed decision.

Haha, yeah I think there will always be this itch, especially knowing I have the potential to get in. What worries me is dental school has made me miserable. I'm scared by doing OMFS I might just be setting myself up for another 4-6 years of misery :(

Dont be discouraged by dental school. Residency is a totally different experience; its a rough road but totally different than dental school. The last thing you want to be is bored doing general dentistry. Then you'll definitely be miserable, lol. A friend of mine did a 2 year GPR, 1 year of private practice and now is doing OMFS b/c he was tired of drilling/filling...just something to keep in mind.

I would suggest looking at the GPR program at Columbia University, I interviewed there and it pretty much seemed like a program geared for people who want to do Oral Surgery (not what I wanted).