Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

grad or undergrad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by praying mantis, Aug 19, 2001.

1. praying mantis

praying mantis Senior Member

I want to take a few classes in increase my science GPA. I graduated in 2000 with a bio/English major? Do I take grad or undergrad science classes? My current sci gpa is 3.4

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. praying mantis

praying mantis Senior Member

Does the grad gpa get added into the overall science gpa or is it separate. If I take 2-3 grad classes this year and get an A, how much will it effect my application?

Thanks

4. mazzy

mazzy Junior Member

if i were you i would take some more undergrad classes. if you start into a graduate work (maters degree, etc) most med schools will want you to finish that work before you matriculate into med school. also, i believe that a graduate gpa is seperate from the undergrad gpa, they dont combine them together. one A at this point wont make much of a difference in your overall gpa provided that you have already taken many science classes, although it obvioiusly wont hurt you. also, that A does look good on your transcript. hope this helps!

5. algae

algae Senior Member

I would take upper level science courses if I were you (level 400 and above). You do not have to matriculate into a graduate program to do this as far as I know. ADCOMS will be more impressed by A's in high level courses rather than lower level, but either way, an A is an A and a good grade in a grad class will not change your gpa more than an A in an undergrad class. Graduate grades are averaged into the undergraduate gpa.