grad or undergrad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by praying mantis, Aug 19, 2001.

1. praying mantis

praying mantis Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I want to take a few classes in increase my science GPA. I graduated in 2000 with a bio/English major? Do I take grad or undergrad science classes? My current sci gpa is 3.4

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. praying mantis

praying mantis Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Does the grad gpa get added into the overall science gpa or is it separate. If I take 2-3 grad classes this year and get an A, how much will it effect my application?

Thanks

4. mazzy

mazzy Junior Member

if i were you i would take some more undergrad classes. if you start into a graduate work (maters degree, etc) most med schools will want you to finish that work before you matriculate into med school. also, i believe that a graduate gpa is seperate from the undergrad gpa, they dont combine them together. one A at this point wont make much of a difference in your overall gpa provided that you have already taken many science classes, although it obvioiusly wont hurt you. also, that A does look good on your transcript. hope this helps!

5. algae

algae Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would take upper level science courses if I were you (level 400 and above). You do not have to matriculate into a graduate program to do this as far as I know. ADCOMS will be more impressed by A's in high level courses rather than lower level, but either way, an A is an A and a good grade in a grad class will not change your gpa more than an A in an undergrad class. Graduate grades are averaged into the undergraduate gpa.