twiggers

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2004
Status
someone at one of my interviews ( prospective person as well) that all this money spent on applying to schools, ETS scores, transcripts, as well as fees to interview at places can be written off on next years taxes.
Has anyone heard of this being done? If so...where on the tax forms would this be claimed?

Also....for moving expenses (we'll be paying a ton to move from CA to IN) I know that if it is for work you can write off moving expenses. Can it also be done for school (especially if spouse has found a job out there already)?

Thanks

RES

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
Status
twiggers said:
someone at one of my interviews ( prospective person as well) that all this money spent on applying to schools, ETS scores, transcripts, as well as fees to interview at places can be written off on next years taxes.
Has anyone heard of this being done? If so...where on the tax forms would this be claimed?

Also....for moving expenses (we'll be paying a ton to move from CA to IN) I know that if it is for work you can write off moving expenses. Can it also be done for school (especially if spouse has found a job out there already)?

Thanks
I asked my friend's mom, who's an accountant and does my taxes and she said that you can use application fees, etc as a deduction. i didn't find out about the moving thing, but i suspect that will be a no as well.

Anon82

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
RES said:
I asked my friend's mom, who's an accountant and does my taxes and she said that you can use application fees, etc as a deduction. i didn't find out about the moving thing, but i suspect that will be a no as well.
So you can use them as a write-off? Or you can't?

RES

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
Status
Anon82 said:
So you can use them as a write-off? Or you can't?

Sorry, for the confusion, no you CANNOT use them as a tax write-off. My typing was not so good on that one :(

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
New England
Status
Attending Physician
twiggers said:

Thanks
My wife was able to take a moving expense deduction since she worked, so at least one of us was able to take it.