Grad School before applying to Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious for those of you guys attending grad school and still possible to get accepted from med school without finishing grad school or getting Masters. Anyone who didn't finish up your grad. program and went to med school?? Is it better than retaking and taking some high level courses in CC for my poor GPA?
What do you think AA would prefer?
By the way, what's CNA?

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to finish any graduate program. Schools prolly won't like it if you don't. Certainly in your interviews do not give ANY indication that you won't finish the degree out. They want to see that you can stick with something. I applied this cycle a year and change into a graduate program (MHA). I chose this degree because it is a versatile and practical one, and is more than just a means to an end (med school admission).

There is no question I will finish my degree (at this point I have 7 or so weeks to go), but never did I have any intention of not completing it. That is my personal choice, I'm not gonna give up all this work for nothing. So I haven't really checked whether or not the schools I have been accepted to require completion.

I do remeber that Des Moines Univ. specifically said in their acceptance letter that I didn't have to finish it.

Hope this helps.

CNA is certified nursing assistant

hey-

what MHA program are you completing? did it require a residency? just interested bc i am finishing my MHA from trinity univ. currently doing a admin residency as a requirement of the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am finishing up at UNC-Chapel Hill. Last summer I completed a 12 week internship that is a requirement of everyone in the program (except MPH - 6 weeks) in order to graduate.

BTW, one of our graduates holds a high level position in a large system down in Texas. I heard him speak last year, but can't remember his name.

Thank you RAM. You gave me lots of help. I'm having my crucial period in my life these days. Because I'm making very improtant decision and learning how to think wise for my career.

I got in without completing my graduate program. Though they prefer you to finish one by the time you begin medical school, it is NOT necessary to do so.