GRAD School before Dental School???

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ilovekitkat, May 6, 2007.

1. ilovekitkat

ilovekitkat Dr. Katherine Loi, DDS
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I got into UCLA Grad School or Oral Biology a 2 year program. I have not looked into applying for the 2008 cycle yet. However, I do have all my LORs. I just need to write my personal statement and get my transcripts ready.

My career goal is to become an Orthodontist. I am not sure if I should go to UCLA grad school or not. Grad school starts this fall. Should I just take a year off and work, while applying to dental schools? I would be attending UCLA grad school to better my chances of getting into dental school, but that is two more years. I am looking at 9 more years of school.

As of now I think I am an average candidate. My GPA: 3.3, DAT:19aa, 20pat. I have a lot of research and volunteering experience.

My cousin an ortho told me to just apply to dental school and that grad school is a waste of my time if I want to go to dental school and become an ortho.

Someone help and give me advice!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AmoDientes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think your stats are pretty good. If it were me, I would just apply for the 2008 cycle.

4. shamrock2006

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    going to grad school b/4 dschool has no bearing on whether or not you will get into ortho...it's solely based on how you perform in dental school. Only go to grad school if you do not get accepted and feel you need to beef up your application.

5. EmanUT

EmanUT Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Your stats are too low for UCLA. Their average DAT is a 22 and GPA is ~3.7. If you want to get into UCLA, I would do the masters in oral biology to help your application.

6. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Since you were accepted for the grad program, you should pursue it whether you apply for this year or not. Your 3.3 GPA (sci or overall?) is not going to give you much traction when applying to dental school. Getting an M.S. at a pretty prestigious school with good grades will be a definite asset. Contrary to what your cousin is telling you, any education, including advance education is not a waste of time. The background could serve you well in the future, including D.S.

7. delta121

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Doing a masters was one option if I don't get in the first time around. It's a two year program and it is demanding where you have to complete a thesis, take course work and TA first years.

My other option was going to teacher's college for a year and then reapply. Teaching is a skill that some instructors fail to grasp. I don't want to go through a MSc when I have a solid 3.48 gpa in my last 4 years of undergrad. I like to teach effectively to ppl. What good is it if you can't communicate well when you have so much knowledge inside your brain?

It's a tricky business on what to do if you don't get in the first time around. So I will make a decision when the time comes.

8. ilovekitkat

ilovekitkat Dr. Katherine Loi, DDS
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    thank you to everyone that replied. your advice was very beneficial. I was able to defer my admissions to the masters in oral biology for one year, mainly due to funding. I am going to apply to dental school this year (2008 cycle). The masters will be my back up. Also, I plan on studying and retaking the DATs this summer.

Now the question is.. do I apply with my current DAT scores, or do I wait to apply until I get the new scores (hopefully I will improve)?? I am going to study "hardcore" for six weeks in summer.

9. Mare

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm not sure if it's this way in the states, but I know some dental schools do not look favorably on people who are in the midst of their grad school studies and applying for dental school. It means the grad school is going to get screwed out of their grad student they've invested time, money and research in if that person is accepted to dental school. Some dental schools therefore will not accept grad students until their studies are finished. My advice is to check into that closely before making your final decision about attending grad school (unless you plan to finish it anyway, then that looks great on your dental school application!)

Mare