Grad School Decisons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CampDeeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
California Native 26 years old
Current B.A Psychology Major
Minor in Human Sexuality
GPA: A frustrating 2.9 overall but this will change like rapid fire
I enjoy psychology, learning about disorders and treatments, helping others especially children & adolescence. I also love (which i have noticed via these fourms that its not a fav) LOVEE Couples Therapy
I have experience in peer education(Depression/Suicide/Overall Wellness etc.) and I have been exposed to research via a psych research methods class.
GREs not yet but it can be something that occurs if necessary

Dilemma:
I Finally figured out that duh I want to work with kids/adolescents. People have been telling me that I work well with them so again duh get on it!! Also I have always wanted to help Families (couples included) with thing like infertility, marital problems and possible sex therapy. But now here's the issue, where do I go? I am planning to start applying for grad schools in like August/September and I am trying to figure where its best. Private Practice was the goal but I feel more motivated to work with kids in the schools (this includes bullying programs, academic advising, disabilites, but also working more indepth on IEPS.. Personal Story: My sister has autism and I feel like my sibling got screwed by the high school she went to because of her IEPs and how she didnt get the help she need and that makes me more angry then you would ever know.. but yes all that included) I would possibly like to work in hospitals, but I'm still researching how that works, suggestions would be cool ;)

I have been looking into 4 programs: MSW with a concentration in Child and Family Welfare(where I am able to do like school social work) MFT( where I think the couples therapy comes in, but I dont hear most MFTs working in schools ) School Psych (but I am hearing that there's limitations not sure) and PsyD(While have been exposed to research I like to think I am a consumer of research and like reading rather than the configuring. more direct to therapy so I have heard and I feel I could do this and have the children and the Couples work and be okay with that)

So all of that rambling above leads me to wonder:
1)Which program would be as close as what I want to accomplish?
2) Can I get the Master's in either MFT or MSW and then work a bit save up and pursue the PsyD or go straight to PsyD? Which is a better idea?
3) If anyone missed the hint above, I have always wanted to work in a hospital and with children, so how does that work with regards to Psychology/Mental Health?
4) Is it possible to work in schools and hospitals together? Am I asking for no sleep with all that I would do?
5) Just for my sanity, am I way in over my head? Am I biting off more than I can chew or is it my luck that my dedication is taking over and I want to help and learn as much as I can?

Thanks for constantly answering my questions and concerns. Its helping to clear my clouded brain a bit =)

Members don't see this ad.

What type of work with kids in schools do you want to do? I do a fair bit of school consult now (mainly billed as a BCBA, but also as licensed psychologist with Clinical Ph.D.). Most common credential I see working in schools is School Psychologist (masters credential here). They do a lot a testing, with some counseling, social skills instruction, and behavioral work. Most districts have at least one in-house school psych on staff, often one at each level (e.g. elementary, high school).

I did have a previous position where I was based in a hospital (specialty pediatric clinic) but worked a lot in schools. I directed the community consultation program, doing about 1/2 time school consult (mainly behavioral work/social skills training), with the rest hospital based assessment clinic (ASD), outpatient groups (social skills, parent training), and some individual clients (I focused on behavioral problems, but there were opportunities for pediatric psych cases). Our psychologists and pre/post-docs came from school focused Ph.D. programs or pediatric psych Ph.D. programs. Some came in with a BCBA, which is very helpful/desirable.

What type of work with kids in schools do you want to do? I do a fair bit of school consult now (mainly billed as a BCBA, but also as licensed psychologist with Clinical Ph.D.). Most common credential I see working in schools is School Psychologist (masters credential here). They do a lot a testing, with some counseling, social skills instruction, and behavioral work. Most districts have at least one in-house school psych on staff, often one at each level (e.g. elementary, high school).

I did have a previous position where I was based in a hospital (specialty pediatric clinic) but worked a lot in schools. I directed the community consultation program, doing about 1/2 time school consult (mainly behavioral work/social skills training), with the rest hospital based assessment clinic (ASD), outpatient groups (social skills, parent training), and some individual clients (I focused on behavioral problems, but there were opportunities for pediatric psych cases). Our psychologists and pre/post-docs came from school focused Ph.D. programs or pediatric psych Ph.D. programs. Some came in with a BCBA, which is very helpful/desirable.

Wow that sounds like an extraordinary position--to work in such diverse settings and being able to utilize different skills in different roles. May I ask where you went to school to obtain your Clinical PhD? You can inbox me if you'd like.

Wow that sounds like an extraordinary position--to work in such diverse settings and being able to utilize different skills in different roles. May I ask where you went to school to obtain your Clinical PhD? You can inbox me if you'd like.

I did my Clinical Ph.D. at a State University in New England (hint- Go Minutemen!!). I actually focused on behavioral gerontology in grad school. However, I had a background in behavior analysis, and much of the gerontology work I did focusing on consultation to non-behavioral/psych staff (e.g. nurses), as well as working with "non-willing" clients (often displaying problematic behaviors) translated very well to school consultation (a primary focus of my pre-doc internship) and work in special ed and residential settings for children/adults with autism. I picked up the the testing skills along the way (e.g. post-doc and other supervised experiences). Everything was tied together by my training/experience with ABA. I'm not sure my route was typical or should be an example for anybody, but it worked out ok for me. Of the people I've encountered in my career, I'd say that the best trained and prepared to do what I do have come from more school oriented clinical/counseling Ph.D. programs (e.g. Syracuse; Lehigh; UMass Amherst School Psych Ph.D.). I like to joke that I'm a psychodymically trained gerontologist who does behavior analysis with toddlers.