Grad school in Psychology for a non-psych major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoRezSkyline

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone on here can either empathize with or offer advice as to my position - I'm a 27-year old anthropology major currently working in the music industry with a desire to go back to grad school for a PhD or a PsyD degree. I graduated from a highly-esteemed public university about 5 years ago with a respectable 3.6 GPA, and taking the GRE's doesn't faze me as I've always done well on standardized tests.

My problem is this - I only took about two semesters worth of psych classes before changing my major to anthropology, have no lab experience, published papers or affiliations to psych professors that might be able to write me a letter of recommendation. I do have tenuous connections to a couple of my anthropology professors I might be able to call on, but seeing as how I changed my plan to attend grad school in anthropology in order to take a job in the music industry those connections are distant at best.

I've realized after 5 years of working in my current job and being promoted to VP status, that as much as I enjoy it - the music industry will never completely fulfill me personally or financially, and grad school is looking like a more appealing option every day. I don't see an anthropology degree as being so far removed from a psych background as to be irrelevant, but everything I've read thus far seems to suggest that letters of reference and experience in internships, lab work, etc. is at least - if not more important - than one's academic background. So what am I to do in this case?

Thanks much for any advice you can offer...

Members don't see this ad.

Contact psych professors in research that you are interested in and volunteer in their labs to verify that you are interested given that you only have two courses in psych. Are there courses in anthropology like stats that you can call on as relevant experience?

LoRezSkyline,

I sent you a private message.

JRB

I'm also a non-psych major, however, I work in the mental health field, which I believe is always an extra plus. You may want to do some volunteering or get abroad on some research studies.